This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Problem with USB wireless adapter
  • PethosPethos August 2010
    Hi im totally new to linux and I need help with a TL-WN321G usb adapter.
    I have installed Slitaz loram flavor on an old laptop (got no ethernet port) and cant get the wireless working.

Could you please spare some time for a n00b? :)
  • mojomojo August 2010
    Install usbutils libusb libusb-compat linux-wireless tazpkgs
    Open terminal,type lsusb
    post the output.
  • mek8630mek8630 August 2010
    hheeeyy mojo geez out he said he was new to linux haha.
    Pethos, have you tried going to the "main menu" which is the little spider down on the bottom left. Then go to "system tools" and then "hardware detection and drivers". A little window will come up that wants the "root" password not your user password you use to login. Now after entering your password your hardware finder program comes up, check the box that says "auto install non-free firmware", also check the box that says "auto-install all optional packages", and make sure the box that says "install non-free packages" is checked. Now click on the button that says "Discover PCI/USB devices", after that gets done running, hit "enter" to exit out of the window that pops up that you just got done watching run. Now click "exit". That should have found and installed your usb device. Now go back into your "wireless network connections" in the "system tools" menu and set up your internet connection. If that doesn't work post on here and let me know. Or ask mojo to simplify his solution for you.
    Thank you very much for your quick response! (Triple post, yay!)

@mek8630: after the discover usb procedure it identifies my wireless as: Ralink RT2500 and Ralink RT73 wireless lan drivers. I went forward following your procedure anyway and cant find any network... the adpter is no blinking at all.. guess he loaded the wrong drivers?

@mojo: how do I do that?Do I need the command line?

"Help me Slitaz forums, you are my only hope..."
  • ChristopheChristophe August 2010
    did you try the instructions here

http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:wifi-easy
    @Christophe: yeah i tried but my old laptop doesn't have ethernet so i have to do this without internet

@mojo: Ok i managed to install the required stuff and lsusb gave me this:
    Bus 001 Device 007: ID l48f:2573 Ralink Technology Corp. RT2501USB Wireless Adapter
  • mojomojo August 2010
    Download rt73.bin firmware from here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/7irvra0437jiey2/rt73.bin
    Place rt73.bin in /lib/firmware
    The kernel module for your wireless is rt73usb
    At this stage see if mek8630 directions work
    If they don't go to wifimanager Drivers tab click the list files button to verify r73.bin is there,click Lsmod button is rt73usb module listed,if not click Unload button then choose rt73usb from Module: dropdown menu click Load button recheck Lsmod,Networks tab,refresh, is your accesspoint visible,then connect.
    Pethos, your network card's light WON'T come on. Mine didn't come on either. You have to look at your router to see if you are connected if the little wifi light is on in your router then you are connected. The name of your module will be a weird looking name. I have atheros and mine is ath5k. In the wireless manager I can't remember if it came up automatically after I did the device discovery but either way in the wireless manager on the "drivers" tab but the correct module in using the drop-down menu, then click the load button, then the "install" button just for good measures ;), Then exit. If you still can't seem to get it to work after that. Try BACK in the wireless manager on the "drivers" tab and click auto detect devices. if you keep playing around with that you will get it, it isn't very hard once you kinda get the idea of what you are doing. You just need to load the correct driver for it which since you already did the other part I told you now just do this part. If you are running on Live_cd then you will have to do it all over again from the very first step, unless you figured out some way of saving all your changes. I am not sure if this is very clear if not just let me know.

EDIT: oh crap I didn't see that mojo was kinda telling you to do the same thing but just a little different. Just try both ways we are saying until you can get it. It's kinda hard to explain but you will get it.

Double crap, just remembered haha after you load your driver and module all that stuff you have to go to the "networks" tab double click on the network you are wanting to connect to. If a little box comes up asking for the key great if it doesn't then go over to the "configuration" tab and put the key in and set the encryption whatever it is WEP or WPA or none whatever. THEN click start connection. After fiddling around with it you can get it.
    It worked! I followed mojo's procedure and worked fine.

@mojo: Thank you for the support!

@mek8630 and @christophe: thank you for the suggestions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social