This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Unable to mount SATA drive to LiveCd version of SliTaz
  • StolgroveStolgrove December 2010
    Alright, I have stayed up over night learning LINUX/SliTaz. Right Now I am unable to mount the harddrives while running this OS from RAM. I can Fdisk -l and find the drives, with device ID SDA1 and SDB1. I am only concerned about SDA1 right now. I have tried to force mount GUI and non-GUI in SU mode.
    I do not have a boot/menu.lst to edit.
    Still reading other forums, but no luck.
    Please throw your thoughts this way
  • StolgroveStolgrove December 2010
    example:
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# mount -o force -t /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
    mount: can't find /mnt/sda1 in /etc/fstab    (fixed)
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# mount -o force -t /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
    mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on /mnt/sda1 failed: no such device

"I've missed prompt based command structures, so awesome"
    -----------------------------------------
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250000000000 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30394 cyclinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device    Boot      Start            End              Blocks     Id    System
    /dev/sda1      *                1        60788      488273920      7    HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 250.0 GB, 250000000000 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30394 cyclinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device    Boot      Start            End              Blocks     Id    System

/dev/sdb1      *                1        60788      244137984      7    HPFS/NTFS

Hope this is able to help with troubleshooting
  • ChristopheChristophe January 2011
    if you try to access the disk (which shows up in FM) it will mount it for you
    plus, it is mounted in /media, not /mnt

• mojomojo January 2011
    Verify ntfs-3g is installed.

tazpkg search ntfs-3g

/dev/sda1 
         *                1        60788      488273920      7    HPFS/NTFS

root@slitaz: mount -t ntfs3g   /dev/sda1    path.to.your.mount.folder

Open your mount folder in pcmanfm to browse /dev/sda1

Christophe on my laptop the internal hpfs/ntfs formated drive doesn't show in pcmanfm on slitaz-3.0 so there's nothing to click/automount.
  • StolgroveStolgrove January 2011

Christopher - I wish it was that simple, the cdrom is in media also usb and floppy folder, but neither of those were registered with anything, just the cdrom.

mojo - I installed the ntfs-3g, and ran through it also.  When I open pcmanfm the folder is there but empty. I will keep working at this until I know what I'm doing. I also ran the mount ntfs-3g with no avail. I just got lazy and didnt want to type that out also.

Maybe this is a problem within SliTaz itself? cause you say your internal hpfs/ntfs doesn't show. and in the /dev folders nothing shows but the clone mount for the cdrom folders..

"I knew I should learned this UNIX when I had the chance in 89 then should hit up on LINUX in the 90's, now I'm way behind the curve" 

• Trixar_zaTrixar_za January 2011
    My NTFS formated drive mounts just fine with SliTaz. Only thing I can think of is that maybe Vista and Windows 7 use a different version of NTFS?
    No, NTFS is the same file system weather its under xp, vista or 7. Maybe hardware conflict or just a bad copy of livecd when it comes down to it.
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za January 2011
    Maybe or HAL just isn't compatible. I've noticed if HAL can't handle it, it doesn't show up in PCMANFM.
    I wondered a little about that, the harddrive is 500GB and slitaz had to do a false partition to bring it to 250GB each. wonder if there is a resolution in the works for that?
  • mojomojo January 2011
    NTFS drives appearing on the left side of PCmanFM so you can click mount them breaks on full installs.I checked my other computer that has multiple installs of live and full slitaz-3.0 and NTFS partitions with WinXP and data. Booting into the live installs show the NTFS partitions as drive icons with size labels which can be click mounted in PCman,none of the full installs including my laptop do.

Mojo - So your NTFS drives do show up in PCman, to where you just click on them and mount with your Livecd and Full version? Making sure I'm reading that right.

Cause when I boot into the Livecd version, I do not see anything for those drives on the left. and when I go into the GUI version of mount to mount and see their status nothing shows up. even in the device window on bottom.

----------off subject----------

Is there a version of LINUX I can put onto this system that would be similar to XP or VISTA. to allow game play for games like C&C4, civilizations and whatever else my brother wants on his system? fighting with microsoft on a bad product key...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social