This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

3g broadband
  • kultexkultex March 2010
    with this wvdial.conf it will not work - so I closed saved the old working one and tried to redoo tazhw setup 3g-modem - but it overwrites wvdial.conf (it adds the obove lines to my saved)

ok stopped again and diald by hand using the old wvdial.conf

root@slitaz:/home/tux/Downloads# wvdial slitaz
    --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
    --> Cannot get information for serial port.
    --> Initializing modem.
    --> Sending: AT+CPIN=9624
    AT+CPIN=9624
    OK
    --> Sending: ATZ
    ATZ
    OK
    --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    OK
    --> Sending: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP", "drei.at"
    AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP", "drei.at"
    OK
    --> Modem initialized.
    --> Sending: ATDT*99#
    --> Waiting for carrier.
    ATDT*99#
    CONNECT
    --> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
    --> Starting pppd at Tue Mar 16 10:26:12 2010
    --> Pid of pppd: 7028
    --> Using interface ppp0
    --> pppd: ��[06][08]ض[06][08]��[06][08]�06][08]`�[06][08]@�[06][08]
    --> Disconnecting at Tue Mar 16 10:26:12 2010
    --> The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)
    --> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
    --> Try again and look into /var/log/messages and the wvdial and pppd man pages for more information.
    --> Auto Reconnect will be attempted in 5 seconds
    --> Cannot get information for serial port.
    --> Initializing modem.
    AT+CPIN=9624
    +CME ERROR: operation not allowed
    -----------------
    continuinuing 10 times the same
    -----------------
    +CME ERROR: operation not allowed
    --> Bad init string.
    --> Disconnecting at Tue Mar 16 10:26:18 2010
    root@slitaz:/home/tux/Downloads#

so there is something wrong in new ppp - perhaps remove it from the reps and put it somwhere to be installed by hand

thats

var/log messages

Mar 16 10:25:31 (none) user.info kernel: option 2-1:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
    Mar 16 10:25:31 (none) user.info kernel: usb 2-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    Mar 16 10:25:31 (none) user.info kernel: option 2-1:1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
    Mar 16 10:25:31 (none) user.info kernel: usb 2-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
    Mar 16 10:25:31 (none) user.warn kernel: usb-storage: probe of 2-1:1.2 failed with error -1
    Mar 16 10:26:12 (none) daemon.notice pppd[7028]: pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0
    Mar 16 10:26:12 (none) daemon.info pppd[7028]: Using interface ppp0
    Mar 16 10:26:12 (none) daemon.notice pppd[7028]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyUSB0
    Mar 16 10:26:12 (none) daemon.warn pppd[7028]: Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has world and/or group access
    Mar 16 10:26:12 (none) daemon.warn pppd[7028]: Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/chap-secrets has world and/or group access
    Mar 16 10:26:12 (none) daemon.info pppd[7028]: CHAP authentication succeeded
    Mar 16 10:26:12 (none) daemon.notice pppd[7028]: CHAP authentication succeeded
    Mar 16 10:26:12 (none) daemon.notice pppd[7028]: Modem hangup
    Mar 16 10:26:12 (none) daemon.notice pppd[7028]: Connection terminated.
    Mar 16 10:26:12 (none) daemon.info pppd[7028]: Exit.
  • jozeejozee March 2010
    Ok, lets debug this thing one by one. Download the new version again

With the new changes, these are the followig steps taken:
    1) Installation of all related programs
    2) Add user to correct group (for permissions)
    3) Load corresponding modules
    4) Call Wvdialbox
    5) Save user, password and then start dialing

I assume Steps 1-3 are fine.
    Lets debug the step 4. First see if wvdialbox now generates the correct config:

[Dialer slitaz]
    Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
    Modem Type = Analog Modem
    ; Phone =
    ISDN = 0
    ; Username =
    Init1 = ATZ
    ; Password =
    Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
    Baud = 9600

I supect this error is due to "wvdialconf". I am not sure if wvdialconf is even needed with the new wvdial versions. I have commented this thing out.Try again.

If /etc/wvdial.conf is not generated correctly, please do the following on cli and post
     wvdialconf

I have assumed a particular format of output from wvdialconf.This will help me to see the typical output of wvdialconf.

Step 5) Dialing:
    I have rolled back the changes:
    1) http://hg.slitaz.org/wok/rev/4736cbc67cec
    2) http://hg.slitaz.org/wok/rev/cac7f1b3946f

Please reinstall these pkgs and see if the bug is resolved.

EDIT: I just read your UMTS doc post. Thanks this looks good. I will also make some more changes as per your suggestions.
  • erniaernia March 2010
    @jozee
    did you see my previous post:
    http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/comment/3608/#Comment_3608
    kultex is getting the same error i was getting and i'm posting using my nokia n78 as a modem. there must be something missing/wrong with wvdial...

EDITED the link
  • jozeejozee March 2010
    Download the newer version now. Includes the "Dialer pin" changes as per your suggestions in 3G guide.
  • jozeejozee March 2010
    Updated again
  • jozeejozee March 2010
    @ernia,

yes, i missed your post. Please see if you can find out what's missing in wvdial??
  • jozeejozee March 2010
    @ernia: I think its libxplc.

I have added it now: http://hg.slitaz.org/wok/rev/4bcc6ed80629

Tried, updating, wvstreams now.
    two things:

the wvdial.conf is nearly perfect now

I only had to add to [Dialer pin]

Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0

without this it just said no modem when dialing the pin

but this worked perfect, when I opend wvdialconf in wvdial box, I saved it and could dial

I still had to edit resolv.conf by hand, but this you wanted by rolling back? - but the nice thing is, that DNS is here now and also /etc/ppp/resolve.conf

Mar 16 17:13:08 (none) daemon.notice pppd[3937]: pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0
    Mar 16 17:13:08 (none) daemon.info pppd[3937]: Using interface ppp0
    Mar 16 17:13:08 (none) daemon.notice pppd[3937]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyUSB0
    Mar 16 17:13:09 (none) daemon.warn pppd[3937]: Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has world and/or group access
    Mar 16 17:13:09 (none) daemon.warn pppd[3937]: Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/chap-secrets has world and/or group access
    Mar 16 17:13:09 (none) daemon.info pppd[3937]: CHAP authentication succeeded
    Mar 16 17:13:09 (none) daemon.notice pppd[3937]: CHAP authentication succeeded
    Mar 16 17:13:10 (none) daemon.warn pppd[3937]: Could not determine remote IP address: defaulting to 10.64.64.64
    Mar 16 17:13:10 (none) daemon.notice pppd[3937]: local IP address 77.119.133.130
    Mar 16 17:13:10 (none) daemon.notice pppd[3937]: remote IP address 10.64.64.64
    Mar 16 17:13:10 (none) daemon.notice pppd[3937]: primary DNS address 213.94.78.16
    Mar 16 17:13:10 (none) daemon.notice pppd[3937]: secondary DNS address 213.94.78.17
  • jozeejozee March 2010
    Hi kultex and ernia,

I have updated again. Please test the new version.

Also, please upgrade ppp and rp-pppoe pkgs to check if the new version is fine.
    http://hg.slitaz.org/wok/rev/ce752ae970e1

pppd should automatically execute /etc/ppp/ip* scripts to provide DNS. If not, can you run these scripts to see if its not a problem with the scripts itself. May like to test the scripts by changing "USEPEERDNS" variable in the scripts to the newer standard "PEERDNS" as in /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf

• erniaernia March 2010
    well done, jozee :-) i'm writing you from my ppp0 in the n78 using all of youre packages. wvdial works now. as far as i know ppp executes ip-up when link goes up and ip-down when link goes down, but they must be in /etc/ppp/ and not in /etc/ppp/scripts . so i've moved them from /etc/ppp/scritp to /etc/ppp and voilà, dns in /etc/resolv.conf are updated as link goes up and down.
    arch and debian are used to create ip-up.d and ip-down.d folders and make ip-up and ip-down launching all the scripts in the relative directory (ip-up -> ip-up.d and ip-down-> ip-down.d) so i.e. you could put two separate scripts in ip-up.d, one to update dns and one to take up you firewall. i'm using arno-iptables-firewall right now, i launch it at the start and i don't think to it anymore.
    other scripts in /etc/ppp/scripts should not be there, IMHO. they should be control script for pppd for those who does not have wvdial, so they shoul be in /usr/bin, i don't have time to investigate right now, i need a break from the pc ...
    concernig your tazhw tool, my nokia n78 uses cdc-acm module and the device created is /dev/ttyACM0 , so maybe your tool should search for ttyACM* too.
    as usual, thanks jozee :-)
  • jozeejozee March 2010
    ernia,

Good, it works.

I thought I have already updated ip* files to /etc/ppp (http://hg.slitaz.org/wok/rev/1d1a4203b937). Please install ppp pkg again.

Hey, the script searches for ttyACM* except that it stupidly assumes /ttyUSB* (for testing purposes) :-). I will update this, thanks.

EDIT: Hi, can i check if it's ok to replace ttyACM0 in /etc/wvdial.conf with ttyUSB (as I have assumed). Can you check? I mean the following:

sed -i "s/ttyACM/ttyUSB/" /etc/wvdial.conf
    sed -i "s/rfcomm/ttyUSB/" /etc/wvdial.conf

EDIT: If you have more time, please test other devices setup scripts too.
    yes from my side too - great work - using ernias changes, everything works fine

I have some more proposals:

First I think you should add some text to wvdial box, that people must save before dialing - could be dangerous to crash the pin

Second - I think it should be perhaps possible for permanent use, to save the loaded module on startup and to create two desktop entries - UMTS dial pin and UMTS dial
    There is one problem, but I am not shure if it is a real one - after disconnecting the UMTS modem I have no Internet with eth0 - its up, resolv.conf is ok, in the Netbox Manager it is connected - only if I open the little network window with the panel the Status is not working
  • jozeejozee March 2010
    other scripts in /etc/ppp/scripts should not be there, IMHO

No, they are correct. Netbox directly edits account info there.

Update your 'ppp' pkg again. Then, you may try dialing without wvdial too using netbox. I think it will work.
  • erniaernia March 2010
    I must confess, i've never used netbox until now, just tried it one time (when i had the issue of device eth* changing number when changing machine) to get up eth1 with dhcp without results. If netbox is based on restarting the network.sh script maybe the script could take up the network inteface from something like
    cat /proc/net/dev | grep eth
    , i have not investigate it. I'm used to wicd for eth* or wireless and typing wvdial in a console for ppp.
    I've done tazpkg recharge and tazpkg upgrade right now and i got "0 new packages on the mirror"
    About changing the device from ttyACM* to ttyUSB* or rfcomm*, if i understand what you mean, i can tell you right now that it would not work because i will not have these devices in /dev, rfcomm0 being created only if i connect through bluetooth and ttyUSB* by changing module. Maybe you could create a /dev/modem symlink to the correct device (ttyUSB or ttyACM or rfcomm) and simply put /dev/modem in /etc/wvdial.conf. I think this is the most used way.
    OT
    how do i contact firefox's mantainer for my problem with firefox package?
    http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/753/ghost-firefox:-busybox-s-cpio-vs-cpio
    is it ok to mail him?
    @jozee

before leaving I was updating the howto and checked if everything works - but if-up and if-down are still installed in /etc/ppp/scripts
  • RuppRupp March 2010
    I hope to get my cricket a600 to work with slitaz. It works with puppy linux. I just can't seem to get it to work here. Recognizes the storage device sometimes) after I do a flipflop but not the modem. If I figure it out I will be sure to tell you guys. Great thread btw.

Rupp
    when it works in puppy - look which modul is loaded in puppy either with

# lsmod

or in the udev rules (your modem should be named in one of the rules) and look, if this module is in SliTaz present after installing linux-dialup package with

#modeprobe -l

bytheway - why are you buying those modems if you konw, you want to use it in linux?? like a huawei E220 you get for 35€ without simlock on ebay - you can put in evry data card - its extremly well documented and it has normally much better connection than this little sticks....
  • RuppRupp March 2010
    kultex:
    bytheway - why are you buying those modems if you konw, you want to use it in linux??

Let me rephrase your question a little:

bytheway - why are you buying those modems if you know, you want to use it with slitaz?

I figured since it has worked under Ubuntu for over a year that it would work with slitaz. I figured since it worked with Puppy Linux that it would work with Slitaz.

< / sarcasm>

Rupp

P.S. I will look into what you said to do. You are smarter at this then me. Thanks for your contribution.
    found somthing on usbmodswich http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/bb/viewtopic.php?t=281&sid=023e7a8bfe5f5e18792c1802d372b199

it seems to use the cdc_acm driver so perhaps try modprobe cdc_acm

and sorry it was not sarcasm, sometimes just wondering when its known that Ubuntu has 300 empolyed developers.....
  • RuppRupp March 2010
    Nothing wrong with being a paid dev IMHO. Kultex thanks for that last link. I love slitaz and using something else i.e. puppy or windows just isn't cutting it right now lol.

Rupp
  • RuppRupp March 2010
    I got it to be recognized now by manually through modprobe. I am getting close but I have a problem.
     --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.41
    --> Initializing modem.
    --> Sending: ATZ
    ATZ
    OK
    --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    OK
    --> Modem initialized.
    --> Sending: ATDT #777
    --> Waiting for carrier.
    ATDT #777
    CONNECT
    --> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
    --> Starting pppd at Tue Mar 16 19:46:00 2010

It hangs there and doesn't do anything. I read a few posts elsewhere and the settings they suggested I already had.

Rupp
  • erniaernia March 2010
    did you try to configure the modem with "tazhw box"?
    it does not load automatically cdc-acm but it configures well the modem, if you don't have an /etc/wvdial.conf file. if you have it manually delete it then retry.
    @jozee
    i'm i wrong with the assumption that existing /etc/wvdial.conf does not get deleted nor edited?
  • RuppRupp March 2010
    I already have the wvdial.conf. I thought what I posted above showed that.
    @Rupp see http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:dialup - I think its just the resolv.conf
    @Rupp see http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:dialup - I think its just the resolv.conf
  • erniaernia March 2010
    @rupp
    what you posted should be the output of wvdial command.
    i was saying to delete /etc/wvdial.conf before try tzhw box.
    modprobe cdc-acm
    rm /etc/wvdial.conf
    tazhw box

then put in your APN, save configuration and start dialing
    if it does not work either add debug in /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial :
    echo debug >> /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial 

and post /var/log/messages section relative to ppp.
    after tried to connect also check
    ifconfig
    to see if ppp0 is up, the interface of tazhw does not show you clearly that ppp is up.
    sorry about my broken english
  • RuppRupp March 2010
    I got it working finally. I had everything upgraded but wvdial. That seemed to have fixed it. I had to chroot from puppy to fix it. Also tazhw does not recognize it at all. Like I was doing before I had to manually modprobe it to get it to work and copy over my wvdial.conf.

Cricket Model a600

modprobe cdc_acm 

My wvdial.conf for those interested

[Dialer Defaults]
    Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
    Baud = 460800
    Init1 = ATZ
    Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    Carrier Check = yes
    Dial Command = ATDT
    Phone = #777
    Username = your cricket number goes here
    Password = Cricket
    Stupid Mode = yes
    Auto Reconnect = yes

Stupid Mode and Auto Reconnect are not really needed but I brought them over from the puppy wvdial anyway.

Rupp

@ernia
    Thank you. No need to say sorry about your english it is fine.

@kultex
    Thanks for getting me a couple links that finally let me figure out the driver. :)
  • jozeejozee March 2010
    If tazhw does not load the module automatically, please try upgrading your full system.
  • erniaernia March 2010
    i've upgraded right now, it says system is up-to-date.
    am i missing something?
  • jozeejozee March 2010
    @ernia : Strange!! do "depmod -a" ; and see if tazhw loads the module automatically. If not, please report which module (pkg) it is in.
  • erniaernia March 2010
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# depmod -a
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# lsmod | grep cdc-acm
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# tazhw setup 3g-modem
    COMMAND OPTIONS: 3g-modem
    ==========================================================
    Due to a lack of compatible hardware for troubleshooting,
    this 3g-modem device has not been properly tested. Please
    report any success, failure, bug to SliTaz Labs or Forums.
    ==========================================================

Detected PCI devices Kernel modules
    ================================================================================
    ================================================================================

Detected USB devices Kernel modules

====================================
    list detected devices
    ls: /dev/ttyUSB*: No such file or directory
    ls: /dev/ttyACM*: No such file or directory

======================================
    Failed to setup 3g-modem
    ======================================
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# tazpkg upgrade

Available upgrades

System is up-to-date.

250 installed and listed packages to consider, 0 to upgrade, 0 blocked.

root@slitaz:/home/tux# tazpkg search-file cdc-acm.ko.gz

Search result for file : cdc-acm.ko.gz

Package linux :
    /lib/modules/2.6.30.6-slitaz/kernel/drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.ko.gz

1 file(s) found for : cdc-acm.ko.gz
  • jozeejozee March 2010
    @ernia : thanks. I have submitted the bug report. We will have a look.

EDIT: BTW, may i check if your modem is a usb or an integrated pci type ?? Does lsusb detects your modem?
  • RuppRupp March 2010
    @jozee
    I upgraded fully to and I have to manually modprobe and then it works. It works for me but if that is a problem with others I will gladly try to help.

@ernia
    You have the same one as me? It doesn't work for you at all?

Rupp
  • erniaernia March 2010
    @rupp
    my modem is a phone, a nokia n78. i'm posting from the phone, only i must modprobe cdc-acm before to wvdial

@jozee
    nokia n78 connected via usb cable
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0421:007b Nokia Mobile Phones
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1307:0165 Transcend Information, Inc. 2GB/4GB Flash Drive
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    root@slitaz:/home/tux#
  • RuppRupp March 2010
    @ernia
    So you have to do the same thing I do. Except I have to modswitch then modprobe cdc_acm

Rupp
  • jozeejozee March 2010
    @rupp: can you explain more on "modswitch" and how do you do it? Maybe I add this too?

this is really strange. BTW, tou can add the module to rcS.conf for auto-loading at startup.
  • RuppRupp March 2010
    @jozee

I meant to say usb_modeswitch. You made a tazpkg of it. What I did was download it and use the flipflop.sh from ubuntu forums. Then after flipping it, it says nothing detected. Then I modprobe cdc_acm and it works. If I modprobe without doing the flipflop.sh first it is adding a driver but for nothing. So the flipflop.sh still works even though it says nothing detected. I then connect with wvdial. I can write a simple script for it. I know I can add it to rcS.conf.

This link will explain the flipflop.sh:
    http://is.gd/aNCuY

BTW if you run windows or another distro and it works and you reboot it will work without flipflop.sh. Not if you power off.
  • maxxmaxx March 2010
    I try my Venus-VT12 modem (a CDMA actually - sorry if the thread not related to it), SliTaz does not recognize ttyUSB as my Ylmf (ubuntu karmic based distro). how do I work with it. I really like to use SliTaz on my Netbook (EEEPC 701) as it only has 4GB of storage.

The problem by now is I can not connect to internet using wvdial ( i love this software). I'll try my ZTE MF627 (3 Modem from UK) after accomplishing with my CDMA modem.

Thanks in advance!
  • maxxmaxx March 2010
    thanks kultex... I'll have a read on it, and report my progress on making it work... thanks again...
  • maxxmaxx March 2010
    superb... SliTaz is the fasted OS I ever installed on my hard drive..

thanks kultex, I use SliTaz to post this with my Venus VT 12 modem and firefox browser. Midori seems slower to open even one tab of the browser...

I love SliTaz, and it will be my OS for the EEEPC 701 I have..
  • maxxmaxx March 2010
    SliTaz is the fasted = I mean "fastest", sorry for misspell..
  • maxxmaxx March 2010
    I have just upgraded the system (Cooking). After reboot, the wvdial can connect successfully, but I can not browse any websites. I tried Ping to www.google.com and it got replies. What kind of problem could that be? Please help guys! Thanks and regards.

Maxx
  • erniaernia March 2010
    if you can ping www.google.com dns resolution is ok, so it must be a routing table problem.
    did you set ppp as your default route? there should be a defaulteroute option in ppp. you can do it manually with the route command to test.
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# route
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    10.6.6.6 * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
    127.0.0.1 * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 lo
    default * 0.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 ppp0

should be something like "route add default gw ppp0" or "route add default gw ipofppp0"
  • maxxmaxx March 2010
    I did that, but still couldn't browse any website. I had to get back to Cooking without upgrade to get connected again. Tonight I would like to test SliTaz 2.0 for making sure that the problem was about the package which did not suitable for my Asus eeepc 701.

Still need help from all of you guys, and thanks before!

Regards,
    Maxx
  • kultexkultex April 2010
    @jozee - I was testing 3.0 iso and everything works fine now with
    tazhw setup 3g-modem

but pressing the 3G-Modem button in Tazhw box is different (perhaps it is using an old version?) - it does not install linux-dialup and wv-dial and after connection it is horrible slow

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social