This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Is there a way to download a package along with all of it's dependencies?
  • DKruytDKruyt November 2010
    Hello there, I was wondering if there way a way for me to download a package along with all of its dependencies, I have been meaning to download GIMP and a few other programs for a while but I can't get around how many times I will have to follow links to get the dependencies! Thanks in advance, D.Kruyt
  • LexeiiLexeii November 2010
    Have you internet on your SliTaz? Tazpkg can download and install program and all of it's dependencies and much more.

If you haven't net on SliTaz, but have net on, say, Ubuntu - is there a way to run Tazpkg on Ubuntu? I think, this is the simplest way to get all dep's.
  • ms3811ms3811 November 2010
    If this were possible it would be of immense help, especially when setting up new systems. Often, new boxes require a bunch of packages to be installed to enable basic functionality such as connecting to the Internet or getting xorg to work.

E.g. I was setting up this box that had issues with xorg. To get the correct driver tazx needed to connect to the Internet, turns out Slitaz does not have a driver for the network card. The manufacturer only provided source code for the driver, so I had to install slitaz-toolchain and compile the driver. Now imagine doing this downloading one package at a time, copying it over to the new box, attempting to install it, finding out its dependencies, then downloading the dependencies, then finding their dependencies... you get the picture. Took a couple of hours of painful back and forth with a USB stick to get the job done.

Maybe this could be a future enhancement to tazpkg (option to just download a package along with its dependencies). Just a thought.

@DKruyt, the workaround for this that I found later: If you click on the Packages Database link on the right of this screen, select "Depends " in the pull down, then enter the name of the package you wish to get the dependencies for, the search results will provide you with the list of all required packages. You can then download them right there. Tazpkg also provides you with a list of dependencies, but only for installed packages.

The downside of this approach is that the list from Packages Database is a list of all dependencies, a lot of which might already be installed on your box. So you will end downloading a bunch of stuff that you probably don't need to, but that isn't so bad.
    @ms3811
    Thanks for the help, I am doing exactly what you are doing :/
    I have a Windows machine with which I am downloading the packages, but shipping them to and from on a flashdrive is no enjoyable task ( i have no ethernet cable to spare, plus i doubt SliTaz has a driver for it ). See I am busy designing a website on my Linux rig and I found Beaver which I love to bits ( lovely syntaz highlighting ). The problem lies with the fact that most of the graphics on my SliTaz box are uneditted and to be honest, mPaint isn't exactly user friendly. I have always liked GIMP though, which I tried downloading, but got obcenely bored with after downloading about 5 dep's. So I downloaded the FotoXX thing instead, which I cannot get to work -_-'

I guess I just have to do it the hard way :\

I also need to get Apache too, which I am sure is going to give me a sore finger ( PHP doesn't run itself either :/ ).
  • ms3811ms3811 November 2010
    One thing I can think of is to use an offline repository, assuming you have the bandwidth to download the whole repository on your windows box. There is a packages-3.0.iso that contains all the entire slitaz packages database that you can then mount locally, and configure slitaz to look there instead of the online repo for any packages it needs.

http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/comment/6449/
    I have lofted my rather heavy Linux box over to my router, and discovered that SliTaz can use my router fine ( the magic of ethernet is in the air ). Thanks for the help, I will try downloading the package via Tazpkg :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social