This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

streamtuner?
  • GeraldoGeraldo August 2010
    in slitaz have some application like streamtuner, Internet radio tuner?
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za August 2010
    From what I tested, quodlibet has the best internet radio function, but there are two pains with it though.

You need to shows the internet path to the .m3u file and it has troubling readin anything other than .m3u file format so Windows Mediaplayer's .asx and .ram don't work. Another annoyance is that it can't work with addresses with playlist.pls?=433242 type addresses.

It can however play both mp3 and aac+ streams which make up for it.

The only other player I found that could play streams like that VLC, even from the downloaded .pls or .m3u files, but it refuses to work with aac+ streams though. It also can't play from .asx and .ram files.
  • Streamtuner is very easy to compile. Just download, unzip and then compile it.

After installation you just have to change some preferences. Audacity did not work for me, so I changed it to vlc.

If you want to have shoutcast, there is a workaround - edit the /etc/hosts:
    # workaround for streamtuner (classic.shoutcast.com)
    205.188.234.120 www.shoutcast.com

Taken (and tested) from this german wiki: http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Internetradio_aufzeichnen#Shoutcast-Kategorien-werden-nicht-gefunden

Killerkaninchen
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za August 2010
    Funny enough, recent playing around with VLC opened a streaming video from an asx file. It needs to be opened with File--->Open File--->Network--->Network Protocol by entering the url, but otherwise it works pretty well. Still doesn't play aac+ for some reason though :/
  • GeraldoGeraldo September 2010
    I downloaded the streamtuner2.tar.gz but do not know how to install. how to install tar.gz files?
    I downloaded the streamtuner2.tar.gz but do not know how to install. how to install tar.gz files?
  • seawolfseawolf September 2010
    Try opening them. They are archives of source code, which must be decompressed and compiled before being installed. This is quite a good resource:
    => http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/softinstall.html
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za September 2010
    Slight note about SliTaz - it has no /usr/local/bin folder, so you must do configure with ./configure --prefix=/usr
  • KillerkaninchenKillerkaninchen September 2010
    I downloaded the source distribution from http://nongnu.org/streamtuner/. It's the first link below "Download - Latest version". This archive is called streamtuner-0.99.99.tar.gz.
    Before compiling there are some packages you have to install:
    expat-dev
    curl-dev
    libxml2-dev
    taglib-dev
    python-dev
    pygtk-dev

Maybe you need some other packages to, which I already installed before... Don't hesitate to ask...
    To unpack streamtuner you can just rightclick on the tar.gz (if you don't like to do it on comand line). Choose something like "unpack archive" (I only have a german installation - don't know what it is exactly called in english) and then "unpack here".
    cd ~/Downloads/streamtuner-0.99.99 ### or wherever you downloaded and unpacked it
    ./configure
    make
    su root
    make install

Killerkaninchen
  • devl547devl547 September 2010
    1. Please, do NOT install packages by hand. This may and will mess up your system.
    2. There is streamtuner 2
    3. Considering programs - I'll create a thread where you can add your software decisions
    Where is streamtuner 2?
    so I'll wait for the thread for how to install streamtuner2
    @devl547 Yes, a badly compiled program won't work, but I highly doubt that it WILL mess up the system unless it modifies core functions or the linux kernel in some way. The worst that can happen with programs like streamtuner 2 is that it won't work.

You have to allow people to learn proper compiling practices - it's part of any GNU/Linux and Unix distro. Telling them not to and that you'll show them how will only create the problem of them coming back to you everytime they want something not in the repository. Rather teach the people to fish rather than doing the fishing for them the whole time.

@Killerkaninchen - Well done on the concise and accurate explanation of the method, but I would have done ./configure like this (to avoid the no /usr/local problem in SliTaz):
    ./configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man
    For me compiling streamtuner and other software (no drivers or the like) did work. I never had problems with compiled software on any of my systems. But surely it can cause problems when upgrading to a new release...

So I also wouldn't say never install packages by hand.

But maybe it is possible to install the streamtuner2-rpm-package using
    rpm -i /path/to/streamtuner-package.rpm

For this you have to install "rpm4" first.

@Trixar_za - The prefix --mandir allows to look up the manpages after installation (man streamtuner)?
    Technically it should killerkaninchen, but you need to install the man command to use them. Even then you need to page up in the man screen to read them. Hopefully this is fixed in the next version. I remember installing some package that installed links with it - can't remember what package that is now though :/

I just do the --mandir so the program (if it has man pages) installs them to the right place.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social