This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

slitaz installed to HD with grub 2 fails to boot due to kernel panic
  • w00tw00t December 2009
    I have just installed Stilaz to SDA7. I already had Ubuntu 9.10 and Win 7 installed and using GRUB 2.

I performed the Stilaz install to HD routine from within the Stilaz live CD. I did not install grub as I already had GRUB 2 installed.

I ran sudo update-grub from within Ubuntu - grub detected the Stilaz install and created a link to it in uboot.

Whenever I try to select Stilaz from uboot, a kernel panic occurs and halts the load.

VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly on device 8:7
    Warning: unable to open an initial console.
    Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

My GRUB 2 entry is:
    insmod ext2
    set root-(hd0,7)
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 01575672-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.30.6-stilaz root=/dev/sda7

Is there anyone out there that can help me get Stilaz working from HD?

I can mount /dev/sda7 from within Ubuntu and it all looks OK.
  • w00tw00t December 2009
    fixed typo
  • loruelorue August 2010
    Hi w00t
    I have just recieved tha same message
    Did you finally know how to fix it??
    regards
    Lorue
  • LexeiiLexeii August 2010
    w00t, --
    1. is it full install (not frugal)?
    2. Have you file init on the root of the /dev/sda7 partition?
  • ChristopheChristophe August 2010
    I have hit the same pb in the last few weeks
    I have not found a way to solve this - i am no grub expert either -
    This is a full install here.
  • loruelorue August 2010
    Hi Lexeii
    I have full install
    I do not see init file
    Hi, Christophe! Hi, lorue!
    My installation is frugal, and I don't experimented with full install yet. Can you try? Please, unpack rootfs.gz to temporary folder and copy init from there to your partition.
    @lexeii: are you using grub2 at alll ?
    I do not understand your point
    Kernel needs of init script to continue loading system. You don't have this script, kernel in panic and can't load system. What are you doing? Is this a simple way to copy init script from LiveCD's rootfs.gz?
    BTW, I use GRUB and GRUB4DOS. They have some differences in format of their config files, but it's not important to our simple goal.
    my point is that it is booting properly with grub, and panicing with grub2.
  • loruelorue August 2010
    Hi Lexeii
    I am trying to ungzip the rootfs.gz file, but I am recieving the msg: gzip: /media/SliTaz LiveCD (loram)/boot/rootfs.gz: not in gzip format.
    same with Slitaz LiveCD (xvesa) and Slitaz LiveCD (normal, standard 3.0)
    maybe this is the problem.
    I am using ubuntu 10.04 to ungzip
    Lorue
    Hi, lorue!
    You can't unpack rootfs.gz because of the it's format. It's not an tar.gz archive, it's cpio.lzma.

Anyway, I upload init script to my account in MediaFire: link. Don't forget to set correct permissions to this script: rwxr-xr-x, and owner: root, group: root.
  • UR10UR10 August 2010
    In your case:

mkdir slitazroot

use slitazroot instead of and then copy whatever you want to your root tree.

In general:
    to get everything on an (e.g.) ext3 partition:

cd

gzip'd root:

cat /boot/rootfs.gz | gunzip -c | cpio -id -H newc

lzma'd root:

cat /boot/rootfs.gz | lzma d -si -so | cpio -id -H newc

• loruelorue August 2010
    Hi Lexeii
    problem continue
    The machine where I am trying to install Slitaz is a Pentium I 200mhz 64ram.
    I used Puppy to download init.txt file from MediaFire to /mnt/sda1 (where is slitaz)
    with ls -l I verified init.txt is 755 root root
    msg is:
    warning unable to open an initial console
    kernel panic not syncing: no init found. Try passing init=option to kernet
    pid: 1,com: swapper not tainted 2.6.30.6-slitaz #1
    Lorue
    Hi, lorue!
    I'm uploaded file init, not init.txt! :) Please, rename it using Puppy and try to boot SliTaz again.
  • loruelorue August 2010
    Hi Lexeii
    I founded If I use Opera web browser to download init file, it adds .txt to file.
    Then I downloaded init file again using other web browser, and finisehd ok with name. Then I verified permissions 755 root root using ls -l.
    But the problem continue (:-(( for slitaz.
    Lorue
    Lorue, what is the type of filesystem on your SliTaz's partition? Does the SliTaz's kernel builtin' support (not a module) for this type of filesystem?

Yes, you can change your GRUB' menu.lst to this:
    kernel root=/dev/sda1 init=/dev/sda1/init
    but I think that it will not help. It seems that the kernel can not mount the /dev/sda1partition.

I want to know that types of FS, maybe it ext3?
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za August 2010
    Isn't there a issue present in GRUB2 that even effects Ubuntu 10.04/Windows duel boot systems?

I heard Ubuntu users having similar issues getting GRUB2 to work properly. Maybe go back to the previous version of GRUB?

I personally use GRUB and it works perfectly for me. To me GRUB2 is way too unstable to be useful right now.

Also note that Windows 7 has a nice little feature called DataSafe that wipes GRUB2 if you boot into it.

EDIT: After digging a little, it seems to be a common issue with GRUB2 and kernel panics like this with various other Linux distros (First google match was with Arch Linux)
  • loruelorue August 2010
    Hi Lexeii
    On my case I am using Grub
    Starting Gparted on Puppy I found 3 partitions on my disk
    sda1 (slitaz, ext3, Mount Point="empty")
    sda2 (puppy,ext2,Mount Point=/)
    sda3 (linux-swap)
    Maybe Mount Point is the difference.
    How could I assign mount point = "/" to sda1???
    I will try using "TestDisk" on Puppy
    I remember when I install ubuntu, the process verify one partition and only one must be "/"
    Lorue
    SliTaz kernel can't access ext3 partition? Strange.
    Lorue, you can play with chroot from Puppy. But, it's only the game :)
    In Puppy exit to root console by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, then type next commands:
    # mkdir -p /mnt/slitaz
    # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/slitaz
    # chroot /mnt/slitaz
    # startx
    Where "#" is root's prompt, you shouldn't type this symbol.

Please, correct me if my memory is not so good in this "game".
    I want to experiment myself with full install of SliTaz.
  • loruelorue August 2010
    Hi Lexeii
    On my case I am using Grub
    Starting Gparted on Puppy I found 3 partitions on my disk
    sda1 (slitaz, ext3, Mount Point="empty")
    sda2 (puppy,ext2,Mount Point=/)
    sda3 (linux-swap)
    Maybe Mount Point is the difference.
    How could I assign mount point = "/" to sda1???
    I will try using "TestDisk" on Puppy
    I remember when I install ubuntu, the process verify one partition and only one must be "/"
    Lorue
  • loruelorue August 2010
    Hi Lexeii
    First I did
    # mkdir -p /mnt/slitaz
    # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/slitaz
    # startx
    and with gparted I verified MountPoint of sda2 is /mnt/slitaz
    then I did
    # chroot /mnt/slitaz
    but send me an error because it is waiting a /bin/hash file or directory

The init do not work

Lorue
    This is my experiments with SliTaz 3.0 full install for Lorue.

First, I cut some space (2 GB) for new partition on my HD using GParted, and format it (/dev/hda8) as ext3, and labeled it as 'Full'. While rebooting system my GRUB fail and can't boot anything :(

I insert my SliTaz 3.0 LiveCD and boot it. I select language and keymap and got desktop.

I press menu → System Tools → SliTaz Installer, enter root password 'root' and installer starts. I press 'Install' button, then on question 'Partition to use:' I answer '/dev/hda8', OK.
    'Do you wish to format the partition in ext3 ?' I answer 'No' because my partition already formatted in ext3.
    'Home partition to use (Optional):' I press 'OK'.
    'Hostname: slitaz' OK.
    'Please specify the Root password for your new system: root' OK.
    'Default user name login: tux' OK.
    'Please specify tux password: tux' OK.
    'Go and install SliTaz or cancel?' Yes.
    Process begins and ends.
    'Install GRUB on: /dev/hda ?' I press 'Yes' because my old GRUB can't work.
    GRUB installs, installation complete, I press 'Exit', LiveCD ejects.

Next, I open PCManFM and go to my new system's partition — /media/Full. I opened /media/Full/boot/grub/menu.lst and change title to simple 'SliTaz 3.0 Full' and add my other frugal linuxes from old menu.lst to this menu.

Reboot.

Again choose language and keymap. Login as user root with password root.

Edit menu.lst again:
    title SliTaz 3.0 Full
    root (hd0,7)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.30.6-slitaz root=/dev/hda8 vga=791 lang=ru_RU kmap=ru
    I'm Russian and now SliTaz selects system language and keymap at boot time. vga=791 gives me 800×600 graphical boot screen with Tux logo.

Then I copy /root/.xsession to /home/tux/.xsession and change user:group to tux:tux using PCManFM.

Reboot. Log in as user tux with password tux (!)
    From menu → System Tools → SliTaz Control Box → Login manager → I set 'Auto login' to 'yes' and press 'Change'.
    From menu → Preferences → Desktop Wallpaper → I set up all three checkboxes and select wallpaper from /usr/share/images.

Reboot. All works fine! But a bit slower comparing my regular frugal installation of SliTaz, and HD works a bit harder (I hear sounds).
  • loruelorue August 2010
    Hi Lexeii
    Thank you for your e-mail and time!!!(:-D))
    Everything looks ok.
    Previously I had Slitaz 3.0 full installed, with LiveCD, on other machine (Pentium II 248k ram) and worked well.
    In the particular machine (Pentium I 64k ram) with the problem I installed using the web option, because I was having other problems with the LiveCD. Maybe maybe, there were a problem during the instalation. It could be a good idea to reinstall. (:-D))) (:-((
    Regards
    Lorue
    @trixar: not between grub2 and windows and ubuntu. works fine with Mint Crunchbang and lubuntu, all ubuntu based. but kernel panic with slitaz.

I found that grub2 does not work as advertised anyway. I am wondering if I shouldn't just put gag in the MBR and this is it ! :(
    I tried reinstalling grub1 instead, already, but had pb to have access to the grub2-based installation (lubuntu in that case)
    Christophe, does grub2 uses some special commands that grub lacks?
    Can you rewrite your grub2 menu.lst to use in grub? If can't, put it here and lets we all try to rewrite it.
  • loruelorue September 2010
    Hi Lexeii
    Finally I reinstall slitaz using floppy-grub4dos option gpxe,wan and finished OK working everything.
    Remember previous installation was using slitaz live cd option WEB and finished with problems
    I really do not know why now it works. maybe: we must remember we are working with an old machine
    Thank you and Regards
    Lorue
  • LexeiiLexeii September 2010
    Hi, Lorue!
    I'm glad to see, that you installed SliTaz. And, you really have an old machine.
  • ChristopheChristophe September 2010
    @Lexeii: thanks for the offer. Will be back on this i am currently away.
    I have no idea for the special grub2 command.... will show you what is not working in my case.
  • loruelorue September 2010
    Hi Lexeii
    Yes very old machines, but there is a good reason, and it is a good practice to learn and undestand how to install and evaluate a distro.
    Could you help me with my others Posts??
    The IBM think pad and the Sony Vaio pcg-fx776??
    regards
    Lorue
  • LexeiiLexeii September 2010
    Sorry, Lorue, I have no thoughts about how to help you with your other machines.
  • hantorhantor September 2010
    Hello ! Im new out here ! I wouldnt be here but installation problems ! The one thing for sure needs developer attention ! There is two things that must 100% work and that is installation proces and boot loader install process ! If one of these fail the user canoot use the system becose of installation problems ! I have google a litle bit and found that many user have the same installation problems ! I have simmilar problems with slackware that uses lilo bootloader and simply wont install properly ! They didnt give much attention to its problems and i give up slackware ! How can you something learn if you cant even install ! Becose that altitude from slackware team i have dump the linux for time being ! O yes i know how to solve the problem on the varius ways, but this is something that simply must work ! On the colledge you will not pass the class with that kind of error ! So why someone do somewhat like thiss ! Without bootloader its simply live cd and for work useles ! So go and fix bootloader installation problem and then post the distro - this is for devloper ! Its getting anoying ! If you build the bridge with that kind of altitude the bridge will sooner or laiter crash ! If you do something doit right and not half way around or do nothing at all ! Its pityy becose the system have some potencial !

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social