This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Network Management
  • RobertoRoberto August 2010
    Sorry, I'm tired of googling for nothing. This is stupid. Where's a proper good manual about network management?
    Is there somewhere a proper guide STEP BY STEP to:
    -find out if your network card is supported by the system and has been detected. Name and information about
    that card.
    -Turn on that card and get and introduce the ISP information, if is not able to do it automatically.
    -Change the default network manager of the Linux distribution and use another WITHOUT internet access (obviously).
    -Etc.???

Please, STEP BY STEP. I'm unable to use Internet with Slitaz, and that should be the FIRST THING a linux distribution should manage.
    "Network Manager" has always worked great for me, WIFI and 3G. I don't understand why the distributions don't give it with WICD and the others, and we would be able to choose. It's so heavy??? C'mon!

We are talking about Internet access!
  • ChristopheChristophe August 2010
    Yes, of course. And itś funny.

"If your card is an usb one, you'll need lsusb which is available in the package usbutils:

# tazpkg get-install usbutils
    $ lsusb"

If I don't have Internet, and that's the reason I am doing all these steps, WHY ON EARTH YOU TELL ME ABOUT INTERNET INSTALL ANY PACKAGE???

• seawolfseawolf August 2010
    If you can read that guide then you must have found an Internet connection somehow, from another location. One can then download individual packages from the mirrors to a USB stick and install them on the connection-less installation. There is also a DVD image of all the packages, but it may not be quite up-to-date. There are ways around it.

=> http://mirror.slitaz.org/packages/3.0/

su -
    tazpkg install [file]

You'll need the usbutils package, and perhaps the two libusb* packages, maybe zlib as well. They are it's dependencies and you may or may not have them; I do but I installed using TazPkg which got them automagically.
  • LexeiiLexeii August 2010
    Hi, @seawolf! We post at the same time.
    @Roberto, don't shout so loud.

If you really want this package, you get it. Is this your single way to connect to internet? Is this no internet in your friends, in your town? If so — I'm sorry. Otherwise, you want to go to the SliTaz Packages Web Interface, find your package simply by name «lsusb», download it.

Now, I don't know, is this some problem in this Web Interface? I find package, but it don't have download link. Well. Inspect other download links. Where they lead? http://mirror.slitaz.org/packages/stable/ Open this address in browser. Press Ctrl+F and find «usbutils» text. Press link usbutils-0.84.tazpkg (in that page or in this topic).

Receive this file to your SliTaz by CD/DVD/floppy/USB Flash stick/Mp3 player/Digital camera/WIFI/Bluetooth.

Then, open folder this package in, in PCManFM, press F4 to run terminal, type su command, «Enter», root`s password (root, if you don't change it), «Enter», install this package: tazpkg install usbutils-0.84.tazpkg

That's almost all. Do you have missed dependencies for this package? Sorry, but you want to repeat this all steps for all dependency manually. This way I download wvdial package & all needed to up my only EDGE/GPRS connection. And I'm happy :)

If you really want...
  • molmol August 2010
    @Roberto

The easiest way should be to connect your laptop to Internet with ethernet cable. Then boot .Many chance that you can connect.

After that, go to wireless manager,drivers and then press on "auto-detect devices", then press on "Detect PCI/USB devices" (with auto-install firmare button enable).

When everything seems to be downloaded and install. Disconnect cable and ensure that you can access to Internet with wireless .

After that, make a new ISO with Menu - System Tool - LiveCD

That's the noob way :D
    mol, your way is the stupid way, but I'm going to explain to you carefully:
    I only have 3G internet access! And using another linux distro.! Because I'm in the countryside (holydays) and the nearest Ethernet cable is in Bill Gates arse!
    Sorry for the language, but I'm tired, with many distros the same problem: they don't care enough about Internet, when Internet in Linux is essential.

I'll keep trying, but I think I have not many chances. Sorry again, it's my holidays time.
  • molmol August 2010
    No, it's not the stupid way, it's the noob easy way.

What is stupid is to overweigh an ISO with all of stuff that you will just use once or .. never

http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/1610/little-question-on-drivers-repositories/#Item_2
  • ChristopheChristophe August 2010
    @roberto:

I understand the frustration, i have the same as you, regularly.
    Not all drivers are readily available and some manual stuff is required for the less common ones. This is the price you (we) pay for a 30MB distro running in 128 MB RAM

Think of this. There is a reason Windows is soooo overwhelming: most everything works out of the box - but the lastest XP I have installed required 12GB of disk and 1GB of ram to install and open a browser window ;)

This being said I agree that the documentation needs some improvements to clarify the step by step procedure in the case you mention. Good suggestions.

• @Roberto i understand your fustration. i truely do. And i can tell you Mol suggestion is the easiest way.
    lexii way is your obvious choice now. But the bad news is that if you download a package it may have dependent packages which you will have to get too and that will give you more frustration. experience has shown me this.

Yes i agree with Christophe documentation needs improvement. I must confess, its advisable to install slitaz when you are connection to ethernet in other to get it up and running. this should be noted in the documentation.

Suggestion: I think a hint of advice should be given while downloading slitaz, like asking a a few questions like - How do you intend to connect to the internet?

1..3g connection with all the packages in the folder.
    http://people.slitaz.org/~jozee/packages/3G_modem/

2...Connect with wifi with all the packages and drivers
    3...Connect with etherent etc

They should be in grouped packages so someone can download it independently

because like roberto said, internet is the beginning to geting all other packages.

thanks
  • mek8630mek8630 August 2010
    Honestly SLiTaz is one of the best Ultra-lite weight distros I have used. The network connection was actually pretty easy to figure out. There isn't much to it. If you do what "mol" told you to do you would have been connected to the internet instead of coming back and bring rude to people who are trying to help you. I wouldn't help you after talking that way. Really the way "mol" told you to get your connection going was just basic network connectivity. I have used ALOT of light-weight distros and slitaz is by far the easiest to make a connection. Really if you can't figure it out, I think leapfrog or one of the others in those kid isles at walmart has something that can hook you up real good. The slitaz team did a great job of putting this system together compared to MANY others I have tried. Apparently you have never tried "Damn Small Linux". The only way you are going to get a real easy way to connect is go with a full-featured Linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu. But seriously don't be shitty to people that are trying to help you and aren't talking down to you. Because they could have just as easily been saying how pathetic it is that you can't figure it out and are getting all whiney about it.
    Thanks SlitazFanAgent. The folder with all the packages for 3G has been useful, although I need to configure wvdial and is only a trial/mistake way.

But thanks to you I didn't need to look for the dependences, it would have been crazy. No, I would have gave up.

mek8630: you are the pathetic. As you can see, I'm not the only one that gets frustrated for losing his time trying to find out how to rule an Operating System. It's not my hobby, it's summer and anyway is not my kind of preferred activity.

I left windows for all its troubles, and Mint is good enough for me, but I got an old laptop and now I want to use Wine, I tried many distros, and 90% of the time the problem is the Internet conexion: why? Network Manager rocks, and is really light! Why then? There are private codes around in Linux, too? Network Manager is private?

Makes no sense.

• molmol August 2010
    @Roberto

Here you will find a tutorial

http://www.leapfrog.com/explorer/

But I don't know yet if it manage 3G
    mol, please, stop messing around, you are not help at all. That link is wrong and I need 3G.
  • @Roberto
    you will need the wvdial settings from the operator, i know network manager had a database of networks settings for different countries.

you could search google for your operators settings etc. vpn, username password, most operators dial number are *99#.

If you dont want to bother with that you could download a slitaz flavour(derivative of slitaz) that has network manager . its about 80mb
    http://greencomputing.sakuraweb.com/slitaz/iso/flavors/slitaz-3.0-hottuna-flavor-squashfs.iso

there was a discussion about this network on the thread

http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/comment/6053/#Comment_6053
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za August 2010
    Roberto, I connected using an EVDO, GPRS, EDGE and 3G connection - the trick is actually knowing your settings. mol is correct and all those packages work and are required (gnome-ppp requires wvdial to work though).

Minimally, you need linux-dialup and wvdial. USB switch (which is in the http://people.slitaz.org/~jozee/packages/3G_modem/ packages) maybe be required to make some 3G devices connect.

Just a friendly bit of advice, it's not our responsbility, our duty or job to help you. We also doing this as a hobby and some of us actually enjoy the challenge of figuring things out for ourselves. I don't see what your issue is if you can download the packages off your Mint version. If you don't know your 3G settings, then it's your job to contact your provider to find it out. Not ours. No Linux distro in existance can auto-magically fill that in for you.
    A lot of distros. Every distro with Network Manager fill that information for me. I have to do nothing. Wifi and 3G.
    Network Manager is in every Ubuntu. And in many others.

Anyway, I don't want an argument. Thanks anyway.

PD: One advise: the appdatabase should be organized by packages with all their dependences. It's useless to download a package if you need to sort it out all the dependences manually. Most people won't do it (will give up).
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social