This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Is it possible to not load the file system in ram ?
  • XavierJXavierJ August 2010
    Hello,

I known that running entirely from ram is a main feature of Slitaz, but is it possible to have the file system on the hdd (or other storage device) as usual ?
    I'm using Slitaz for it's lightness, but it would be better for me to have the file system on the main storage device.

Xavier.
  • seawolfseawolf August 2010
    Hi @XavierJ --

Yes, there is an (simple) installer under 'System Tools', which will extract the FS to a full hard-disk. You might find the page on the docs site useful:
    => http://doc.slitaz.org/en:handbook:installation

HIH.
    Thank you seawolf.

I have already done the "by hand" installation of this guide and I have Slitaz on my flash card, but my file system is still loaded in RAM at boot time : when I add a file, it's discarded when I reboot.
    Modifying the file system is not a problem of course. My problem is that Slitaz is very light, but what I am adding on the system is not, and I don't want all the files to be loaded in RAM if not necessary.
    I'm still lost in this problem.

How can I know for sure if I'm running slitaz from ram ?
    I had a look at /etc/fstab ans there is no line for the root file system, but I'm not sure if it's relevant.
  • molmol August 2010
    Xavier,

* You have Live CD,USB -> in RAM

* You have , on HD or USB ,
    ------* Frugal install -> in RAM
    ------* Full install -> everything is wrote on device

For the Frugal/Live mode, the difference between the normal iso and the Loram one, is that the Loram doesn't decompress the /usr/lib in RAM . So it use less RAM but is less reactive

To know if you are in RAM or not, ... just check if your root is on a device or not ... easy.
  • seawolfseawolf August 2010
    I don't have that in my /etc/fstab, either so I don't think it matters.

If you've installed to the disk/card, you can see the file-system on the device through the file manager, and the line in the GRUB config. file has a "root=/dev/sda1" (or similar) appended, you are most definitely running on the disk/card. The installer will extract SliTaz to the disk/card and the boot-loader (GRUB) starts it from there.

The only thing I can think of is that you have both the installed HD/card in and the Live version available somehow, and booting the wrong one.
    Thank you two a lot.

I'm telling grub to use /dev/sda1 as root so I guess it's ok.

But I tried to check it and I'm still confused : since the busybox mount has not the -l option I looked at /proc/mounts and I got the following about / :

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
    /dev/root / ext2 rw,relatime,errors=continue 0 0

The first line doesn't help much, and there is no root device in /dev on my system. Maybe it's used during boot and then removed.
  • ChristopheChristophe August 2010
    I am no expert here (I do not have a PC with a card reader allowing to boot from there) but it looks like you have a frugal install.

Boot from the CD, go to the menu and reinstall from the appropriate menu entry, if your know that your flash card can be addressed as a fixed disk. Don't do a frugal install.
    I really believe the pb comes from your installation, to begin with, so go back to the root of the problem....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social