This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Wine
  • RobertoRoberto August 2010
    My main interest in Slitaz is the chance to use Wine with it, but searching in the appdatabase I found the package is not ready for Slitaz.
    What's the simple way to get Wine WITHOUT internet connexion? The Package Manager is able to write a script and get the packages from another computer with Internet, as in Synaptic?

Or i have to use the Wok utility?

By the way, is working fine Wine in Slitaz?

Slitaz is really fast, I agree with all of you, but for newbies is not well documented (not enough, I mean). Google is a nightmare many times.
  • seawolfseawolf August 2010
    Hi @Roberto --

WINE is packaged and works fine on SliTaz, I use Spotify through it. You can download the package with:
    su -
    [ password for the root account: root ]
    tazpkg get-install wine

You may need to 'recharge' Tazpkg (download the package lists) with:
    tazpkg recharge

To install it on the computer without Internet access, you'll need to use a USB stick or some method of copying files manually. If you boot the SliTaz LiveCD on the computer with Internet access, you should have all the necessary packages in /var/cache/tazpkg/ on the LiveCD which you can copy over to the other installation, after running the above command.

HIH.
  • molmol August 2010
    I know that I will be kill .. xD

But does anybody succeed to install Ms Office ?
  • ChristopheChristophe August 2010
    i have done that, on some ubuntu derivative. Took me a very long time to realize how to make it work, and I spent litterally hours looking for it on the internet.

The way (or at least, one way) to go is to install PlayOnLinux (which is NOT on the package repository, so you will have to download the .deb version, and use the "convert" option of tazpkg, and cross your fingers that it works, or build your own package - I am interested in getting a copy, by the way....).

The trick here is that different versions of office need different versions of wine to install and work successfully. PlayOnLinux will solve that for you. Except, you may have to do something special to make the appropriate version of wine to download and install properly on slitaz.

There might be some licence constraints preventing you from installing on a linux machine, i do not make any recommandation on that (legal) subject.
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za August 2010
    To add to Christophe, yes, in some versions of the EULA it's againt the agreements to install the product Linux.

Alternatively, you could try install AbiWord or OpenOffice, copy over the true type fonts from Windows (I googled for it - MS released the fonts for Linux, but you need a legal copy of Windows to use them - which I do have - I just don't use it...) , copy them over to /usr/share/fonts and use that instead. Remember with AbiWord you MUST install glibc-locale too, it was forgotten as a depedency, but it needed to make it work properly. You now should have everything to allow you to edit MS doc and docx formats (probably not perfectly, but good enough).
    I have many problems using abiword - in fact i never really used it, i always gave up after trying it for a short time. I see an interest in it though in the spirit of SLITAZ (having an autonomous zone OS), as it allows to at least visualise documents.
    For everyday "real" work OO is a much better idea (but it makes your slitaz installation much bigger)
    I have not checked but I assume though that OO is similar in size to office

Concerning the EULA, you may want to check if such a provision applies or not. I know for a fact that there are sometime provisions in EULAS that contradict the local law - in which case, they may or may not be deemed enforcable at all. your homework, as usual.
    Yes, OO is about 135MB to download compressed and you add another 15MB-40MB because it requires the Java Runtime Enviroment to work, meaning it's not exactly light, but it's still smaller to install than the latest MS Office. This including Writer (Word-like app), Calc (Excel-like app) and it's presentation program I think. It comes with other apps too, but I forget what they are because I never used them.

It will still require the MS TrueType fonts to render documents that use them, but otherwise the support for the open and closed document formats should be there.
  • molmol August 2010
    Sorry, but for me, OO do NOT support Ms format. Neither Abiword,Gnumeric.
    It's very rare to have the same, so using OO and inter-operate with Ms Office users is not the good choice.

The only reliable thing is to use .rtf format. I'm right ?

And what about Go-OO ? Does it 100% compatible with Ms ? And when I say 100%, it means same import filters and not a inverse enginering home made solution.
    go OO is based on OO
    there are still differences between OO and office but the difference is very narrow now, since the latest version of OO, and I have started to use OO from time to time (which I never wanted to do until recently).

I do not get your point because switching back to .rtf is not really a progress of any kind, in my view, and i certainly do not see how this would be "the only reliable thing" ! what are you trying to do ?

not sure what you mean with the import filters. The only product that will be 100% compatible with office is office, at the same version level (different versions have incompatibilities by design)

• molmol August 2010
    Well ,

And did you manage to install MSOffice 2003 with Slitaz and Wine ?
    not quite yet. It does not work straight out of the box and i do not have enough time to investigate and fix that before the end of the week AT BEST (it works with lubuntu if you really need)

So what is it you are trying to do that you believe does not work or is incompatible with OO ?? I am really curious.
    I'm curious too.

I just opened a docx and a doc file in Abiword and I've done the same with OO 3 before, so I really don't see where the problem is. Yes, there is a problem with the Abiword package in SliTaz but the solution (as shown on this forum over and over) is to install glibc_locale (the forgotten dependacy - probably will disappear next version) and the problem disappears. Add the Truetype fonts and the rendering problem disappears too.

Like Christophe says, it's not perfect however, but what do you expect when the Office formats are closed and people have to do hit and miss coding to fix compatibility. Btw, believe it or not, but OO is backed by Sun Microsystems, the same people that brings you Java, so don't make the mistake of thinking it's crap just because it's free.

If all else fails, rather switch to a Ubuntu derivative like Lubuntu, where you can use PlayOnLinux to help you install it.
  • molmol August 2010
    I don't expect anything Trixar. I love the couple abiword + gnumeric (far better than OO) , but unfortunately, the compatibility is not suffisent reliable to send a complex .doc or .docx or a .xls for professionnal matters. So I can forget it.

Have you considered saving the document as an pdf file? I've done this for my CV and it seems to push up my crediablity. Most business has support for documents saved in this manner and best of all, it's a completely portable medium. It looks the same on Windows, Linux and MacOS.
    Abiword definitely has major (compatibility) problems that makes it basically unusable for anything more than a one page simple letter. Anything more sophisticated than that is asking for trouble (except for just reading a document).

Interesting you say you love abiword (which does not work) far better than OO (which DOES work)
    I do not agree with your comment concerning OO though. In fact, it is able to open files MS office failed to open, and to locate and point various errors Office will fail to handle properly, and it saved my day in several occasions (I have 5600 MS office files on my machine, some of them very sophisticated, so i have also seen a number of weird office documents).

I prefer to work with Office in general (from a GUI and usability perspective, and the PPT compatibility is a not as good as for word and excel), but I am curious to know what YOU believe is not compatible with OO...
  • molmol August 2010
    @Christophe,

Perhaps OO is more compatible with MS than Abi, but not enough... if you use complexe frames, details , etc etc , you shall know what I'm talking about.
    So, if I'm not 100% sure that my boss will receive the doc exactly the same, I think it's just a waste of time and a source of worthless anxiety
    And to respond to Trixar, yup, pdf is the solution .... but the final version one.

So regardless to compatibility, I believe that abi worth more than OO for it's size, speed, look, stability, suits far more for something like Slitaz . And it doesn't seem to be running after MsOffice
    But just that's my opinion
    ok. I agree that abiword is a good idea for Slitaz, from a size point of view.

From a MSOffice compatibility point of view, OO is a much better bet.
    Just my opinion ;)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social