This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Resolution not detected, slow from HDD
  • cdowncdown July 2010
    Hi,

I'm really enjoying SliTaz, it's the only distro I've tried that I've noticeably seen improved speed and responsiveness from the majority, however, I've encountered one or two small niggles:

My resolution is not available to select. I followed some instructions I found (thanks seawolf) about using screen=1024x600x24 (my res and depth), which did work when booting to the live CD and when booting into the HDD for the first time, but now it completely ignores it and goes into what looks like 800x600 (that's the highest one that it detects). Is there some way to force it to use 1024x600, or to get it to detect it, or some way to make screen=1024x600x24 work again?

Also, I've noticed that SliTaz runs much faster from the live medium than when I install it to my HDD. I assume this is because when booting from the live environment it loads to RAM, but when I install it to my HDD it doesn't. Is there some way to get it to load to RAM on a HDD install?

Thanks,

Chris
  • outworkoutwork July 2010
    Also, I've noticed that SliTaz runs much faster from the live medium than when I install it to my HDD.

I have the same problem with my older config. What could be the problem?
  • kultexkultex July 2010
    Just install Slitaz frugal, the you have the same speed and funktionality like the live CD -

http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:frugal (not the best doku, but generally it works like other frugal distros)

• cdowncdown July 2010
    Okay, I will do that, thanks :)

Also, is there any way to load the intel driver (don't particularly want to use xvesa)? Do I just add modprobe intel to /etc/modules and change my xorg accordingly?
  • LexeiiLexeii July 2010
    To install intel driver: run internet connection, then tazx, select intel...
    I has luck, but not all so simple, search forum posts.
  • outworkoutwork August 2010
    Thanks @kultex i have a question: there is 3 methods (Traditional frugal install, ISO image install, Web boot install) i want a fast system so which method i must to use for maximum performance?
  • kultexkultex August 2010
    take the traditional frugal installation, because I think you want to use tazusb writefs - that is necessary, if you want to change something in the root file system - otherwhise all your changes are lost .....
  • outworkoutwork August 2010
    @kultex nice!:D it is possible to use my ext3 partition instead my usb flash drive?
  • kultexkultex August 2010
    yes - I am using SliTaz like this - take care to copy rootfs.gz to your boot section, after you run tazusb writefs, because this is not done by itself like on usb-sticks
  • cdowncdown August 2010
    Hm, the intel driver doesn't install successfully for me on either of my PCs.

It complains when installing about some files related to mesa-dri being missing, and xorg fails to start.

Any ideas?
  • LexeiiLexeii August 2010
    @cdown The main idea is to go to the upper right corner of this page, type in word intel in search box, and press 'Go' button. You are not alone.
  • domcoxdomcox August 2010
    @cdown
    install mesa-dri + mesa-dri-intel

and you may need to have this module loaded:
    # modprobe intel_agp

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social