This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

How to make Slitaz run faster...
  • EmanEman May 2010
    Guys, suppose if there are files that you no longer need, or programs that you no longer use...how can you clean up the clutter to make Slitaz run better?

Thanks,

Eman

Specs:
    Acer Travelmate 2300
    Intel Celeron M 1.5 ghz
    512 mb memory (will be upgraded to 1 gb soon)
    20 gb hard drive
  • blcondeblconde May 2010
    I believe a standard Slitaz instalation would be really fast in this notebook, you shouldn't need any tweks. Your notebook is pretty similiar to my own, a Celeron M 1.6 GHz, 1 GB ram, 40 GB hd, and Slitaz is the fastest distro I ever installed.

You can delete the software you don't use in the Package manager Tazpkg, the right most icon in the Lxpanel or Menu-> System Tools-> Package manager.

And, I believe only tweaks you can do is to disable some modules in the Control Panel (the second icon from right to left in the lxpanel or Menu-> System Tools-> Control Panel). In the tab "Initialization" fields "Load modules" you can delete some entries and click "Change".

There, you may delete you wifi module if you use only wired net (my module is "ath5k") or dial-up modem (mine is "snd_via82xx_modem"). But be careful, or you can disable some essencial features, like sound. Also in the same "Initialization" tab, you may disable some daemons, like "firewall" (but you would unprotecetd while browsing the internet) or slim (you would have to login in the terminal mode then type "startx" to load the graphical mode).

These features in Control Panel write the changes to /etc/rcS.conf, which you can edit by hand (as root), but be very careful, or you can make damage your syste

Hope this helps,

Att.,

BC
  • devl547devl547 May 2010
    >to make Slitaz run better

it depends. use reiser4+lzo or gzip.. or btrfs+compression to speed up hdd activity.
    Prelink and preload to decrease application startup time. Some 'dirty' hacks like libnosync and nedmalloc, or linux kernel tweaking (BFS,BFQ,SLQB and other from zen-kernel)
    @devl547 : how is this thing "reiser4+lzo or gzip.. or btrfs+compression"?
    @blconde : filesystems. for example I installed slitaz on ext3, then formatted second partition with btrfs and moved the whole installation to it.
    Nice... so would it be possible to do the same with an ext4 partition? (seems pretty faster than ext3 for me, at least on my Lubuntu).
  • jozeejozee May 2010
    @devl547 : Hi Alexander, can you write a small guide on the http://doc.slitaz.org on how to partition and install filesystems other than ext3.

Some 'dirty' hacks like libnosync and nedmalloc, or linux kernel tweaking (BFS,BFQ,SLQB and other from zen-kernel)

Can you please explain this clearly? We are interested in taking boot time below 5 secs.

On SSD, SliTaz currently boots from grub to internet in 6 secs. Kernel boot is 0.5 secs.

@Eman : whatever you install will not impact SliTaz default boot times unless you decide to start it during boot and edit rcS.conf / openbox autostart.sh.
    >can you write a small guide

:) ok, I'll do it.. after some new receipts for 4.0

>On SSD, SliTaz currently boots from grub to internet in 6 secs.

From grub to X in 11-13 seconds on notebook hdd >.<<br />
    >Can you please explain this clearly?

preloading libnosync library stops software from using fsync (http://arighi.blogspot.com/2007/05/libnosync-are-sync-really-necessary.html)
    nedmalloc is afaik faster memory allocator than standart from glibc. (http://www.nedprod.com/programs/portable/nedmalloc/)
    zen-kernel is linux kernel from git + some patches (-ck, -mm, reiser4) (http://zen-kernel.org)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social