This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

CUPS won't recognize username/password
  • wmichaelbwmichaelb April 2010
    Hi, I'm trying to install a network printer onto my Slitaz system. But when I open the CUPS process,
    it won't recognize my username and password. What else do I have to change?
    Thanks in advance,
    - Michael B. in Cincinnati
  • slicelslicel April 2010
    You have to guess if it wants the root login or the authorized user login, presuming you authorized a user, and it does not always accept the root login during a non-root session so you have to logout of slitaz as the non-root user and login to slitaz as a root user session.

Cups is not my favorite program.
  • kultexkultex April 2010
    addgroup tux lp
    addgroup root lp
  • wmichaelbwmichaelb April 2010
    Thank you slicel and kultex, by logging back in as root, I was able to get into CUPS and install the printer. It prints successfully from CUPS and from Open Office, but Abiword doesn't recognize the printer. Are there any Abiword experts on the forum?

Thanks again! I found a used HP LJ 2420DN for $100, it's fast and through our little home network is accessable from both laptops and all my experimental Linux and BSD machines, and I'm pretty happy right now, just a couple of minor things left like Abiword.
  • mojomojo April 2010
    Start abiword from terminal.
    tux@slitaz: abiword

Try to print a document
    Copy/paste relevant error messages from terminal in your reply
  • TimTim May 2010
    Hey, I'm having a similar problem, but I can't add a printer even from root. Anyone know why that would happen?
  • slicelslicel May 2010
    I do not know exactly where your error is but you can try installing aspell, rebooting, and starting cupsd.

http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/41/printing-how-to

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social