This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Netbox/ppp : not working for dial-up modem
  • SVermSVerm April 2010
    Hi,

I am new to Slitaz. I installed v.3.0-Firefox and all seems OK but I cannot connect with my modem. It is a 56K type, not ADSL. I used Netbox under the "ppp" tab, with the required information and when I open Firefox there is no connection. Under the "Connections" tab I read "Loopback connected (127.0.0.1). Clicking on "Full Status" a message appears:
    "IO Link encap:Local Loopback
    Inet address ......
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU ...
    RX ..........
    TX .........
    etc. "

Back to the "ppp" tab, clicking on "Tune" a script file is displayed. The "ACCOUNT" parameter shows the "Name" from the PPPoE tab, not the "Username" from the "ppp" tab.

Now if I close Netbox and open it again, the "Username" of ppp has changed and I read the "Name" from the PPPoE (wich has not changed).

So there it is. That's all I can say. Hope someone can help.

Thanks,
    SVerm
  • RuppRupp April 2010
    do you have anything in:
    /etc/resolv.conf
  • erniaernia April 2010
    did you
    tazpkg get-install linux-dialup

tazpkg get-install wvdial
    ?
    is your modem a serial modem or a winmodem?
  • SVermSVerm April 2010
    Hi,

First many thanks for your very rapid answers.

@@: Rupp: the file is empty
    @@: ernia:
    I have no connection, I cannot download. I got an error from wget "bad address 'mirror.slitaz.org' ".
    Regarding the modem: I tried with my U.S. Robotics 5610B PCI hardware modem, wich works with Sabayon 5.1 and Mandriva 2010.0, but Slitaz didn't detect it. So I installed a serial external modem, Trendnet TFM-560X connected to the serial port, and I got the problems cf. my first message. The Trendnet TFM-560X works OK on Mandriva. My Linux computers use ECS K7som+ motherboards, SIS 740 chipset, PCI and AGP, no problems until now.

I hope this helps and I look forward to using Slitaz as I like the graphics, speed and simplicity, this after many months on KDE 4.3 ........

Thanks,
    SVerm
  • erniaernia April 2010
    tazpkg list
    will tell you the packages you have in your system, so you can check if the two packages i told you are installed.
    you may want to install iptables too, for firewall.
    if they are not installed you could download the packages iso and use it as local source for tazpkg or you could run slitaz inside an emulator (virtualbox or qemu) in a pc with connectivity.
    in my opinion you better try first the serial modem, it will be less problematic.
  • SVermSVerm April 2010
    Hi,

linux-dialup and wvdial have been downloaded. There is a copy on /var/cache/tazpkg.

I am root on a console, the command line is "tazpkg install linux-dialup" and there is the messages "cannot create directory" , then "No space left on device /usr/bin/tazpkg" etc.

I am sure you know what it is, there is a permission problem somewhere.

Also as I want to use Transmission bittorrent (graphic mode), I downloaded transmission-1.76.tazpkg , transmission-cli-1.76.tazpkg , transmission-daemon-1.76.tazpkg , transmission-web-1.76.tazpkg. I hope these are the good files.

Thanks,
    SVerm
  • erniaernia April 2010
    i don't know what it is, i would think to be out of space in my disk.
    output of
    df
    ?
    check if ppp is installed too, then turn on your modem and try wvdialconf
  • SVermSVerm April 2010
    Hi,
    There is some new development here.

- new install of Slitaz with appropriate disk partitioning
    - linux-dialup and wvdial installed no problems
    - many dependencies installed : libcrypto-dev-0.9.8n , libcurl-7.19.5 , libidn-1.12 , libidn-dev-1.12 , libnotify-0.4.4 , libnotify-dev-0.4.4 , openssl-dev-0.9.8l , readline-6.0 , readline-dev-6.0 , wvstreams-4.6.1 , xplc-0.3.13 , xplc-dev-0.3.13
    - transmission torrent installed : transmission-1.76 , transmission-daemon-1.76 , transmission-web-1.76 , transmission-cli-1.76
    - run wvdialconf : both serial external modem Trendnet TFM-560X (Agere) and U.S. Robotics 5610B PCI hardware modem detected. Mapped respectively to S0 and S1
    - file wvdial.conf in /usr/bin. I wrote the user name, password and tel. no. where indicated in the file
    - serial modem removed as PCI hardware modem is available anyway, this last one still on S1 and failure on speed test for S0 (as wvdialconf tells me)
    - now in netbox manager, it doesn't work, as before, see my initial comment. Clicking the "ppp" tab, and "Tune" the script file shows the correct username, password and tel. no. The connection is indicated as ttyS0, I change it to ttyS1. The loopback is still connected. Firefox finds no connection. On the other computer I use kppp and it works, the slitaz computer had Sabayon installed before ans I used kppp for 2 years.

Thanks, I think (and hope) this will help,
    SVerm
  • erniaernia April 2010
    reading other posts i think that there must be some problem with netbox working with other devices than the default.
    try with a shell, make sure that there is a wvdial.conf section pointing to your /dev/ttyS1 device and do a "wvdial nameofsection" command.
    you should have more sections in your /etc/wvdial.conf because you had two modems when you ran wvdialconf.
    if it does not work reconnect you serial modem and try with its section, using a serial modem you can exclude problem related to linmodems.
    when it works with serial modem you can debug pci modem.
    you can recognize /etc/wvdial section names: they are included in square brakets and precedeed from the Dialer words, eg:
    [Dialer usb]
    or
    [Dialer bluez]
  • RuppRupp April 2010
    try what ernia said and use wvdial from terminal. I hate gui for most things. I rather connect to the net and download packages thru cli amongst other things.

Rupp
  • SVermSVerm April 2010
    Hi,

This message comes from my SliTaz computer. I removed the U.S. Robotics 5610B PCI hardware modem from the computer and the serial external modem is connected. There is a section at the beginning of the wvdial.conf file, and I uncommented the username, password etc. lines, so now the serial modem works with the "wvdial Defaults" command at the prompt. Maybe you could tell where is the configuration file of the modem, as I don't want to hear the dialup tones and a "M0L0" is needed somewhere (no sound).

So thanks, problem solved, and now I have to search the forum regarding the slow or sluggish video/window redrawing when moved/resized (content following disabled but it follows anyway .... )

SVerm
  • SVermSVerm April 2010
    Hi,

I installed the U.S. R 5610B PCI hardware modem and it works fine (serial modem not connected). This one is ttyS1 (S0 for serial modem).

SVerm
  • nubie1234nubie1234 August 2010
    @SVERM,

i have the same problem, can you help by listing all the steps you went through to get the dial up modem to work.

I don't know linux very well and i am learning it now.

thanks for your help

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social