This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

HD Install - init: can't log tp/dev/tty5
  • MarceloCPMarceloCP April 2010
    Hi,

I'm trying to install Slitaz to my computer's hard drive (complete install, not frugal). After completing the install procedure, instaling grub and rebooting, I see that the kernel loads and after the message "Frreing unused kernel memory..." I get several instances of the following messages:

"init: can't log to /dev/tty5
    init started: BusyBox V...
    init: can't log to /dev/tty5
    starting pid 481, tty'': '/etc/init.d/rcS'
    init: can't log to /dev/tty5
    cannot run '/etc/init.d/rcS': No such file or directory"

And booting gets into this infinite loop

I have tried both the assisted intall though "slitaz-installer" and the manual install, and the error happens both ways.

Can it be because I'm using Slitaz-lowmem flavor image?

Thanksin advance!
  • RuppRupp April 2010
    From the problem you appear to have that reads like you had a bad download or a bad burn. That is just my observation. Maybe others will chime in on it.

Rupp
    Hi Rupp,

Thank you for your input- however, this doesn't look to be the root cause for the error: I downloaded the iso file again, confirmed its md5 sum and tried the HD install with the newly-downloaded file, and the error persists.

Given my hardware limitation (80 MB RAM), I'm not able to boot from the regular Slitaz flavor CD. What I think I'll do is boot with the live loram CD but use the regular flavor's image file to perform HD intall, instead of the loram image file that I've been trting to use so far.

MCP
    Doing what I mentioned above I was able to successfully install Slitaz regular flavor to HardDrive- I'm writing this message from my Slitaz!!!!

It seems to me that the loram image is buggy for HD install, although I found no problems while using it in Live mode.
  • slicelslicel April 2010
    Try copying just /etc/rcS.conf and the tty from the live session. The rcS might be enough to complete a boot. Right-click the rcS to make sure the permissions are set to read by all and write by owner root. You might have to edit the contents but maybe not.

Edit- I noticed the message was not /etc/rcS.conf but etc/init.d/rcS so check /etc/init.d/rcS.
  • erniaernia April 2010
    if i remember well in loram flavor some dirs ( i remember /usr) are not in the rootfs but mounted from the cdrom, so probably if you unlzma the rootfs you don't have these dirs.
  • gychanggychang April 2010
    slice!: I have the same problem with loram install. I am unable to follow your suggestion above being a newbie
    "Try copying just /etc/rcS.conf and the tty from the live session. The rcS might be enough to complete a boot. Right-click the rcS to make sure the permissions are set to read by all and write by owner root."

gychang

• slicelslicel April 2010
    I wonder if the slitaz 3 loram iso has a bug that needs correcting.

Marcelo actually posted something above my post that he said worked.

The full ram and loram are supposed to install the same os.

I am not sure why the loram live cd would boot but the hd boot would give an error.

After an hd installation with an rcS error, reboot a live cd session and after boot use Menu/Logout/Logout_X_session to login as root, go to the hd's /etc/init.d folder and there should be a file named rcS so the filepath is /etc/initi.d/rcS. If you right-click on rcS and select properties and then permissions, it should be set to read by owner, group, and other, set to write by owner (root), and set to execute by owner, group, and other. You can copy from the live cd session's directory to the hd or you can edit the hd version if the rcS is missing or setup incorrectly.

The rcS might not be the problem but it is a place to start if it was in an error message.

Edit- I corrected the post to refer to /etc/init.d/rcS.

If you are using xp windows to do a traditional install on usb, you probably have enough ram to use the full ram iso for installing from live cd. Once installed, the os uses about 50mb ram after boot.
  • gychanggychang April 2010
    thanks slice!.

I have PII, 288MHz with 98MB RAM, since the possible bug in the loram version I am gonna try the "regular" version first, since it starts without the same problem.

gychang

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social