This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Serious module issues with intel DRM
  • GullibleJonesGullibleJones November 2009
    DRI is not working on my Aspire 3680 laptop... Turns out it's because of this:

# modprobe i915
    insmod: cannot insert '/lib/modules/2.6.30.6-slitaz/kernel/drivers/acpi/video.ko.gz': unknown symbol in module
    insmod: cannot insert '/lib/modules/2.6.30.6-slitaz/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko.gz': unknown symbol in module
    insmod: cannot insert '/lib/modules/2.6.30.6-slitaz/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko.gz': unknown symbol in module
    modprobe: failed to load module i915: No such file or directory

I'm not sure what exactly this means, but I think the issue may be that certain modules have to be recompiled against the current kernel. Whatever is going on, DRI is absolutely not working at all. :(
  • devl547devl547 November 2009
    >i915.ko.gz

Hmm.. Try to ungzip it.
  • GullibleJonesGullibleJones November 2009
    gzip support should be built into the kernel, all the modules in /lib/modules are gzipped, other gzipped modules do not give such erros, and the errors are about unknown symbols as opposed to the module not being there... So no, I don't think I'll unzip the module. I don't wish to mess up my system any more, thank you.
  • panksopankso November 2009
    @GullibleJones I also have an Intel card and get DRI working by recompiling the Kernel, so yes they is a bug in linux-drm. I will check this on the build host.

PS: modules have gz extension but are compressed with lzma
  • kultexkultex March 2010
    is this already solved in new cooking?? - because I get the same errors

root@slitaz:/home/tux# modprobe drm
    insmod: cannot insert '/lib/modules/2.6.30.6-slitaz/kernel drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko.gz': unknown symbol in module
    modprobe: failed to load module drm: No such file or directory
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# modprobe i915
    insmod: cannot insert '/lib/modules/2.6.30.6-slitaz/kernel drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko.gz': unknown symbol in module
    insmod: cannot insert '/lib/modules/2.6.30.6-slitaz/kernel drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko.gz': unknown symbol in module
    modprobe: failed to load module i915: No such file or directory
    root@slitaz:/home/tux#
  • jozeejozee March 2010
    Can you try installing : linux-agp (must), mesa-dri-intel, and 915resolution pkgs? I have added 945GME patch to 915 resolution sometime back :

http://hg.slitaz.org/wok/rev/c2796e3d4f81

See if this helps.
    not much - the only thing is, that its not crashing anymore - I have a white moree screen with the mouse, which is mooving - and I can kill X with strg alt backspace.

I think as long as I cannot load the i915 modul, it will not work
  • jozeejozee March 2010
    Can you try this pkg for linux-drm:http://people.slitaz.org/~jozee/packages/linux-drm-2.6.30.6.tazpkg?

It may be a build problem on tanks.
    your linux-drm is working - the Xorg.0.log now looks much better - but still errors and quite the same picture as before - I think theres something wrong or missing with drm and dri

drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
    drmOpenDevice:open result is -1, (Not a directory)
    drmOpenDevice:Open failed
    ......continues with the same output with different card-numbers - card1, card2....
    (EE) [drm] drmOpenfailed
    (EE) intel(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI
    (WW) intel(0): drmDropmaster failed: Unknown error 4294967295

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social