This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

wep & encryption/wep key
  • markmark April 2010
    Finally connected with wep. Dont use the ascii password only the hex value, eg if your password is say Welcome123 in the terminal type
    #iwconfig wlan0 or ra0 you will see the encryption/wep key as a string of numbers open use this.

Giving your wireless card a manual ip address helps, just because you can see networks/router does not mean you can connect example below your ip's may be different
    #ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.0
    #route add default gateway 192.168.1.1 ( normally your routers ip )
    #ifconfig wlan0 up

This works for me, I have slitaz-3.0-xvesa.iso on a 4gb usb drive. Installed via unetbootin in Windows XP
  • jozeejozee April 2010
    Yes, mark. I also used hex key for testing wep but I generated it using my linksys router web interface. Then, just copy it to /etc/network.conf and restart.
  • markmark April 2010
    hi jozee thanks, i did not think of that only you sometimes cant access router web page if you cant connect.
  • NeelarkNeelark August 2010
    I know this is an old thread, but I have a solution to this particular WEP key problem.

Using a string as your WEP key will work if you prefix it with s: even in the GUI. This tells iwconfig to interpret the key as a string.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social