This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Slitaz issues.
  • bitsplashbitsplash April 2010
    I have used slitaz 2.0 for sometime, not the cooking version. I shut the 900 mhz pc down, and when I rebooted everything was messed up. The o/s would not even boot. At the same time hoping these issues were resolved I downloaded slitaz 3.0. The regular version with xorg simply does not support the i752 chipset from intel. It just does not support it at all. Never has. So I installed slitaz 3.0 vesa edition recommended on the forum. Yay I have video agian. But now none of the virtual consoles work. So I boot slitaz 3.0 vesa edition to text terminal, and i can switch between virtual consoles by hitting ctrl-alt-f1 through ctrl-alt-f6 for terminals 1-6. Also when the gui slitaz 3.0 vesa edition boots into xwindows i loose my function keys, and my numlock, capslock, and scroll lock keys no longer work at all. But in text mode they work fine. I installed slitaz on the hardisk, then rebooted without the cd, and the computer reports no operating system exists. So I formatted with partition magic, acronis disk director, and several other such tools, even removing the mbr completely. Because I had problems writing the mbr to the hard disk. I scanned the hard disk all day with various error checking tools and never even got a single bad block using norton disk doctor, victoria, mhdd, and several others. My system sits behind a firewall 24/7, and I only use it for web and irc. My next question is, this seems like a rootkit. Where is it coming from? What do all of you think? I thought there were only 8 viruses for linux, have I been fortunate enough to find one of them? Any help at all is greatly appreciated. I can now start building my slitaz machine back, as I have another pc I can use for irc.
  • monzmonz April 2010
    I had the same issue with the virtual terminals in Xvesa. I was not able to fix it, other than to switch to Xorg. But i have SliTaz 3.0 running on some _very_ old laptops, and some of them really don't like Xorg ... or maybe Xorg doesn't like them.

I don't think it's a rootkit or virus. The problem seems to be with changes made somewhere in the slitaz-boot-scripts package. I posted on this already but never got an answer:

http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/691/solved-partially-no-tty-when-logged-in-to-x-desktop/#Item_2
  • jozeejozee April 2010
    Xvesa is not so good with keyboards. You may like to try evdev : install xorg-setxkbmap and
    xorg-xf86-input-evdev and then

setxkbmap -model evdev 

• monzmonz April 2010
    Hi jozee ... thanks for the feedback. As you can read in the older post i linked to, Xvesa used to work just fine with the virtual consoles. I've been using SliTaz since the beginning, with the 2.6.24 kernel. Xvesa was ok until the 2.6.29.3 kernel, that's when the virtual console feature broke, and hasn't worked since then.

I'll try evdev if i need to, but otherwise i have found that so far i can switch my old computers to Xorg and use the xvesa driver with Xorg if i can't get a correct driver for that machine.
  • The_PirateThe_Pirate April 2010
    Hi - i have a proposal for improvement, unrelated to the previous stuff in this thread.

I'm new to SliTaz, but it is very interesting for me, as i only own some really crappy hardware... Please bear with me if this is the wrong thread.

I have installed 3.0 on my oldCompaq Armada E500: but the installation did not work too well.

The machine has a 450MHz P2 CPU, and only 128Mb of RAM. I got the 'live' cd up and running, but had to use mkswap to get a bit of 'elbow space'.
    The initial part of the installation went well, but then, when installing the system, it just went to '50%' of the root file system and froze there, fratically scratching away on the HD.
    I tried a few times, with and without X, with and without swap... apparently the installation had headed off into the sunset...

I tried a manual install, as described on http://doc.slitaz.org/en:handbook:installation - it went well, but same problem. After killing X and starting mkswap, the installation was succesful.... three and an half hours later! (i had given cpio an extra switch, so i could see what happened)

The problem with this excessive time transferring less than 300Mb seems to be in the unpacking process ( lzma d rootfs.gz -so | cpio -id ) - the way this is set up, it completely eats all available ressources in my small machine. It seems like it attempts to decompress a huge block of stuff, then swaps its way trough every single byte.

May i humbly suggest that this part of the installer get set up in a different way?

I'm sorry, not much of a hack myself - can't provide anything better myself. But i have an extra E500 - i can try alternatives out on that one, if you suggest any?

Have fun -
    Kim 'The_Pirate'

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social