This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Installing extensions offline???
  • craftycrafty March 2010
    I have a huge concern here but for days now ive been re-searching for a solution.

Ok heres my problem im running dialup & i have a win-modem its a smart link 56k to be exact. I have seen the linmodem-slmodem
    package & wvdial. The only problem is their in.tazpkg. format. How would i be able to de-compress these offline so i can install them?

would i need to download a de-compressor in another format and extract that with a command line code?
    if anyone can help me please let me know because i really wanna start enjoying SLITAZ.
  • mojomojo March 2010

Download the tazpkgs you need from a computer that has internet access from http://pkgs.slitaz.org/

Put them on usb key, bootup the slitaz computer login as tux.

Copy files to /var/cache/tazpkg

Open tazpkgbox the gui version double click the package name of the tazpkg you placed in /var/cache/tazpkg it finds it and installs.

or from shell

Copy files from usb key to /home/tux.
    Open xterm, your in /home/tux the location of the tazpkg you want to install.
    su

enter
    password:root

enter
    root@slitaz: tazpkg  install  craftys.tazpkg

The tazpkg manual:
    http://hg.slitaz.org/tazpkg/raw-file/tip/doc/tazpkg.en.html

• Hi,
    Here are the basic instructions from http://hg.slitaz.org/tazpkg/raw-file/tip/doc/tazpkg.en.html.

Before doing anything, open a terminal, and login as root (with su command).

Then download the required packages. The downloaded package is stored in the current directory. To find the path you can use 'pwd'.
    For example, to get the linmodem package:

# tazpkg get linmodem

Then install the package:

# tazpkg install /path_where_packages_was_downloaded/linmodem

Repeat the operation for other packages.
    That's pretty straightforward.
    Cheers.
    Stephane

Edit: Mojo was one minute sooner than me... :-))
  • craftycrafty March 2010
    one more quick question sorry im still having trouble. would i be able to read the files from mycdrom if i burned them to cd?

that way i can copy em to my SLITAZ desktop & extract them with the command you gave me?
  • mojomojo March 2010
    You can burn tazpkgs to a data cd and transfer them to slitaz.
    But if the question is can I eject the slitaz live cd while I'm booted into slitaz replace it with the cd containing the tazpkgs,transfer the files the answer is maybe.
    More likely the computer would want to access the slitaz live cd and lockup when it couldn't find the files it was searching for. I always had a second cdrom drive in my desktop for that situation.Now I have one DVD burner free and run slitaz off a USB key.

• maxxmaxx March 2010
    What about the dependency problem? I have downloaded .tazpkg file and I want to install for example firefox (tazpkg), but I don't have internet connection on my machine by now, so how do I have to do with the dependency?

Can I download all dependencies software for firefox on other machine with internet connection then automatically install a full firefox.tazpkg without having to install all dependencies one by one.

I used to install .deb packages on Ubuntu by copying the .deb files to /var/cache/apt/archives

Reload the Synaptic or by terminal reload, and then I just have to issue a command e.g. :
    sudo apt-get install vlc
    And the installation process will be done offline without having to connect to internet at ll as long as all the dependencies software needed to install VLC have been copied to /var/cache/apt/archives

Any idea how to install tazpkg files on the same procedure as I did on debian based?

Regards,
    maxx
  • RuppRupp March 2010
    @maxx
    I store my tazpkg on another partition after installing. I clear the cache. I do this because I mess up my system sometimes and it saves redownloading anything. I edit the mirror from terminal as root:
    leafpad /var/lib/tazpkg/mirror

then I add this at the top of the list since this is where I store my tazpkg's:
    /media/disk/tazpkg

That searches that folder before searching online and downloading anything.

Rupp
  • maxxmaxx March 2010
    thank you Rupp, that would help me much on installing any application after reinstall my SliTaz... So I can download all packages I need or download the Packages.iso, burn and save the files to my hard drive. I'll do as you've done...
  • maxxmaxx March 2010
    One more thing... I think I have to spend some space on my blog about SliTaz, especially on technical matters (tutorial about installing SliTaz to hard drive, and every experience I have been through with SliTaz). I wish every one would always kindly want to help me when I got stuck with the SliTaz on my netbook... Thank you guys!
  • maxxmaxx March 2010
    Done it! I can install every packages I want offline by now. Thanks again Rupp. I have to download:
    - packages.desc
    - packages.equiv
    - packages.list
    - packages.md5
    - packages.txt
    because this files are needed to index the packages. Then place them on my USB files where the all packages I have downloaded before.

I can install everything faster now. I can use my Firefox to download any packages.
  • RuppRupp March 2010
    @maxx

You're welcome

Rupp

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social