This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Can't figure out how to make USB persistent
  • DennisDennis March 2010
    I installed Slitaz on my USB. However I can't figure out how to make it persistent automatically. There are different sources telling me different ways to make it persistent.

One told me to add "slitaz home=usb" to the syslinux.cfg file like this:

append initrd=/boot/rootfs.gz rw root=/dev/null vga=normal autologin slitaz home=usb

but it didn't work for me.

http://www.slitaz.org/en/doc/handbook/liveusb.html gave an example of how to do it manually but I didn't try it and I also want it to happen automatically.

http://www.custompc.co.uk/features/602451/make-any-pc-your-own-with-linux-on-a-usb-key.html is an older article that also explains how to make the USB persistent but I don't want to try it cause it looks outdated (from 2008)

does anyone know the best way to make the USB automatically persistent?
  • mojomojo March 2010
    There is no way to make tazUSB live install automatically persistant except for the /home folder.

You have to remember to either
    tazusb writefs
    from xterm or check the writefs box on the logout dialog. If you forget you'll lose whatever changed other than /home since you booted up.

I do a manual full install with grub bootloader on a flash drive. Boots faster than a live install,more free memorys available so it runs better and no waiting around to recompress the filesystem for persistance.
  • DennisDennis March 2010
    Thank you! Very useful.

Also, if it's faster and has more memory, why would anyone use the tazUSB live install?
  • erniaernia March 2010
    hd install in a usbkey boots faster but it's not faster, in my opinion.
    also in liveusb mode you write less to the filesystem, because your filesystem is in ram.
  • GokhlayehGokhlayeh March 2010
    I see two others advantages. The first one is about security : a live system use the same clean image at each session (if the original image is clean). If someone open a hole or put a virus in your system, it will be deleted at shutdown. The second is about portability : you're liveUSB with persistant home can run on all computers, but you're installed system keep configurations related to the computer used for the installation.

The two way have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social