This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Pidgin Problems
  • MisterDMisterD March 2010

I've got Pidgin 2.5.6 installed.

When it starts up, it asks me for my password and then says that it is connecting, but it never does...

I've got the account set up in the same way as other versions of Pidgin that i've used successfully, so i'm not sure what the problem is.

Any thoughts?
  • NikNik March 2010
    hey MisterD
    I got the same problem and it is not Slitaz-related!
    Just start Pidgin, click "Accounts", then "Manage Accounts", then "Modify" your account -> click on "Advanced" and uncheck "Use clientLogin"
    That should help.
    You will note that special letters (like the german ä,ü and ö for example) will give an error message (There was an error receiving this message. Either you and *** have different encodings selected, or *** has a buggy client.).
    The only other option is to use webpages like meebo.com.
    greetz
    -Nik
  • jozeejozee March 2010
    Do you have "gnutls", a suggested dependency, installed?
  • MisterDMisterD March 2010

Thanks for the replies.

Realised i didn't provide enough information.

I'm trying to use my Yahoo account. The "use client login" option isn't there. Thanks though.

I've tried changing the port settings but had no joy.

Had another thought. Need to check the firewall settings. I can connect to the net with Firefox on this machine, and i can use pidgin on other machines on the same network, so it doesn't seem to be a router issue, or the router's firewall.

What sort of firewalling does Slitaz have by default? Tried searching these forums, but couldn't find the answer...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social