This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

[SOLVED] Ethernet installation
  • NikNik March 2010
    Hi
    I bought a new Motherboard and a DvD-Burner and attached my old hard disks to it with slitaz-2010-firefox installed.
    Now my Ethernet-Connection doesn't work. I know that I need to change the drivers to make it work but I don't know how.
    I didn't test it yet, but maybe you could tell me if I have to install the new DvD-Drive, too.
    Thank you for any advice.
    -Nik

ps: I think slitaz does already have the drivers I need, because the Live-Cd works just fine.
  • seawolfseawolf March 2010
    You'll need to find out what chipset the ethernet is and find the appropriate Linux kernle driver. Hopefully it's in the SliTaz-compiled kernel, else you'll need to compile it and/or request it's inclusion in the next update.

WRT the DVD burner, it should 'just work' if it is recognised as a CDROM drive. BurnBox should do something useful but I can't vouch for it as I've never used it. Other burning software may be available.

HIH.
  • NikNik March 2010
    okay thank you so far seawolf
    I typed in lspci and this what it said for ethernet controller: 'nvidia corporation MCP77 Ethernet'.
    Now how do I figure out what driver is the right one? and how do I activate a driver that is listed when I type: modprobe -l | grep drivers/net
    (is it the "modprobe -v 'modulname'" command?)

I think the easiest way to figure out which driver is the right one for me, is to figure out which driver is used by slitaz-live, because that one works.
    How do I do that?
  • seawolfseawolf March 2010
    Yep, that's exactly right.

If it works on the Live CD, open a terminal and type:
    lsmod
    to tell you which modules are in use. Hopefully you'll be able to recognise one, or it's logically named!

I normally just google for them! The site:
    http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/FORCEDETH.html
    tells of the *forcedeth* module, can you load that with modprobe?

I take it that you've a nVidia nForce motherboard? Perhaps nVidia have such kernel modules on their site?

Maybe someone with a similar mobo can help more than me!
  • NikNik March 2010
    so, my motherboard is called K10N78FullHD-hSLI by ASRock.
    and lsmod (in slitaz-live-firefox with working internet connection) responds:
    k8temp 3820 0
    hwmon 2028 1 k8temp
    snd_hda_codec_realtek 179412 1
    snd_hda_intel 22020 1
    snd_hda_codec 49928 2 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
    snd_hwdep 5988 1 snd_hda_codec
    snd_pcm 51780 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
    snd_timer 16344 1 snd_pcm
    snd 43584 8 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_timer
    soundcore 5180 1 snd
    snd_page_alloc 7256 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

If any of those modules is the right one, I don't know which one it is :)
    oh and it's not forcedeth, I tried that.
  • NikNik March 2010
    okay, solved the problem...
    I compared the output of lsmod of the slitaz-live version with the output of the installed version and guess what... they were the same
    so I started playing around with the networkconfiguration and changed eth0 to eth1 and everything works fine now!
    thank you anyways seawolf!
    greetz
    -Nik

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social