This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Dual Boot XP
  • RajinderRajinder February 2010
    Hey,
    Here Goes...
    I installed Xp first on hda1. Then Slitaz on hda3 with home on hda4.

On the first rebbot after install the computer staright away loads Xp. (No Grub).

If I change the boot drive from hda1 to hda3 I get an error saying "error loading OS" (No grub again).

Using Gparted I changed the flags on the partions and am currently stuck with only XP (which was meant to be a backup for "Office Docs").

Any help would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Cheers,
    Rajinder
  • TotoetsasoeurTotoetsasoeur February 2010
    Hi,
    Please check this out:

http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/comment/2835/#Comment_2835

Hope it helps.
    Stephane
    Steph,

The only way I can get into Slitaz is by the boot CD, and that doesnt ket me change the menu file.

Any thoughts?
    Cheers,
    Rajinder
  • TotoetsasoeurTotoetsasoeur February 2010
    Hi,
    Maybe I did not understand correctly. But you should try:
    a) boot with Slitaz CD,
    b) launch a terminal,
    c) login as root by:

#su
    password

d) mount your hard drive to the directory /mnt with something like (I assume that Slitaz is installed on hda3):

root#mount /dev/sda3 /mnt

e) then you could easily edit the menu.lst file with your favorite editor (mine is vi):

root#vi /mnt/boot/grub/menu.lst

f) modify your menu.lst file according to this link:
    http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/comment/2835/#Comment_2835
    Make sure you use yours drive definitions.
    g) save the file
    h) finally reboot

Hope it helps.
    Stephane
    Hey Steph,

I tried to follow you instructions but to no avail.
    I did a fresh install and then rebooted using the cd.
    "cfdisk" shows all my partitions as NTFS.
    I Tried a fresh install numerous times and on all occasions it formatted my partitions to ext3.
    I am at a complete loss of what to do next.

Assistance would be deeply appreciated.

Cheers,
    Rajinder
  • plmdayplmday February 2010
    Rajinder,

Ext3 is a widely used journaling file system on Linux. It's the default FS Slitaz chooses. So your partition is supposed to be formatted to ext3. I am not quite sure, you want the root partition FS type to be NTFS?
    Na na, its not that i want it to be NTFS. It's that it wont change to ext3 even after formatting. Upon install i click on the option to have it formatted; but still nothing.
  • plmdayplmday February 2010
    Rajinder,

Which release of Slitaz are you using for the installation? The stable one or last cooking? As far as I know, the Slitaz installer in the last cooking version did the wrong thing when formatting the target partition to ext3. It not only failed to create ext3 but also changed the fs to an unrecognized fs . That's why grub failed to boot after rebooting. Do you have the same problem? You should try the latest cooking, I just tested it, the bug is fixed now. But if you don't wanna try the latest cooking yet, you can solve the problem by manually formatting the partition.

1. Before you start the Slitaz installer, start Cfdisk Partition Editor from the System Tools in the menu.

2. Make changes according to your needs to the listed partition, in particular, double check the target partition on which you will install Slitaz has the value `Linux' in the FS column. And write down its value in the Name column (you need it later).

3. Exit Cfdisk PE, open a terminal, switch to root via the command `su' (enter the root password `root' of course)

4. Then run the following cmd (replace xxxx with the name you noted in Step 3)

# mkfs.ext3 /dev/xxxx
    5. Start the Slitaz installer, when it comes to the formatting phase, skip it (you've already done it) and continue the installation.

Good luck.
    I dunno man, i followed the steps. the partitions were created beforehand so i did'nt mess with them. I just changed the FS from NTFS to Linux.
    then ran the terminal command (it did'nt accept hda3 but accepted sda3)
    checked the cfdisk pe again and there were no changes registered.
    i installed slitaz anyway... but the same thing... booted straight to xp.

I havent the faintest idea of what to do.
    Rajinder
    Ps: i'm using 20100221 and ive had success installing it as the sole OS on the same laptop with the same CD. I dunno why its messing up this time around.
  • NikNik March 2010
    Hi Rajinder
    I like to do my installations by hand as described here: http://www.slitaz.org/en/doc/handbook/install.html
    It's a pretty short procedure and afterwards I know what I've done. That did always work for me.
    Greetz
    -Nik

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social