This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Working problem.
  • gidigidi February 2010
    Hi,i'm newbie linux user.Ihave old laptop with 192MB ram 476MHZ with window xp.

I dowloaded Slitaz via live cd.when i opened the system information/summary,it said 33MB ram used.when i opened also the task manager,it said 67MB ram used.I started the firefox and it said 73 MB ram is used,and the CPU in the task manager arised to 90%.
    After one minute the firefox closed.What is the problems here,is it depended in the RAM or i have a mistake somewhere.secondly,how can i use the mouse,it does not work.(PS/2).I wish to replace the windows os with the Slitaz which said that is very light,but whithout help
    i can not do it.
  • NikNik February 2010
    Hi gidi
    well first of all I'm wondering how windows XP ever ran on that computer, but anyways...
    slitaz is extracted when you start it, thats why 67mb of ram are used when you booted it instead of the 33 mb of the original .iso-size
    I think I know that firefox issue and I believe that closing your firefox is supposed to save your computer from being overloaded
    I have to admit that I don't have a solution for this, but you could try to use a browser which is lighter than firefox, for example google-chrome
    just open your Slitaz Package Manager and search for get-google-chrome
    it might be that even chrome is not lightweight enough
    another lightweight web-browser is cream (also in the slitaz repositories), but I have never used it and therefore have no experiences with it!
    greetz
    Nik
  • plmdayplmday February 2010
    gidi, other two light browsers are `netsurf' (which comes with the latest cooking iso, of course is also available in the repos) and `midori'. As Nik suggested, open the GUI Slitaz Package Manager to install either or both.
  • slicelslicel February 2010
    Much of this information was on the old forum.

Some system utilities report active ram but not all the ram claimed for cache.

Slitaz 2 live cd requires 160mb ram and the remaining 32mb probably is not enough to run firefox.

I am not sure if 192mb is enough to install standard slitaz because of the lack of documentation on system requirements for apps like installer and tazlito.

Swap partitions add virtual memory.

Loram flavors use less ram to run a live cd.

Non-frugal hd installations use less ram cache than the standard live cd does because non-frugal hd installations do not boot everything into ram.

You might want to keep xp installed as a backup and dual boot slitaz because slitaz has problems with many things (dialup, wireless, backlight, printing, word processors, etc.).

Slitaz serial/ps2 mice never worked for me but you can try to install serial or other packages. Slitaz usb mice worked for me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social