This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Saving my complete Slitaz onto HD
  • NikNik February 2010
    Hey
    I installed slitaz on my first Harddrive /dev/sda... and I like it a lot just as it is :)
    But now I thought about playing around with the mbr of /dev/sda
    So before starting to play around with it I thought it might be a nice idea to make sure my existing slitaz is safe!
    I just tried to copy all of the data in "/" with a live-cd but just as I expected, I am not allowed to do so!
    (=> "Permission denied!")
    So my question is:
    What is the best way to save my slitaz data which are on /dev/sda onto my other hard-disk /dev/sdb?
    So basically: How can I copy my existing slitaz best?
    Oh ... I did already install grub to /dev/sdb because I thought that would be good, too!
    thank you for any advice
    greetz
    Nik
  • babaorumbabaorum February 2010
    Hi, the system error message tells you what is incorrect, why not checking user permissions of the folder where you have mounted the HD partition of Slitaz you want to save ?
    ls -ld [path of mount folder of SliTaz partition]
    -- Babaorum
  • NikNik February 2010
    Ok here is what I tried:
    1. Opened a terminal and used your command: ls -ld /media/disk/bin
    2. This is the output: drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 10 15:39 /media/disk/bin

When trying to copy the "bin" folder with cp (after getting root privileges with su) like so: root@slitaz:~# cp /media/disk/bin /media/Daten/Slitaz
    the output is this: cp: omitting directory '/media/disk/bin'

This tells me that I do not have the right to copy the folder 'bin', right?
    So how do I get the needed rights?

Thank you babaorum for your help so far
    -Nik
  • jozeejozee February 2010
    @Nik : try "cp -a" option. Otherwise you can also clone hard disk using "dd", e.g.
    dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1 . Other option is to use partimage pkg (like Norton Ghost) or fsarchiver (I just added this to repos: http://hg.slitaz.org/wok/rev/7701946da7a8)
  • NikNik February 2010
    hey jozee
    I tried the cp -a method but that didn't help. After that, I tried clonezilla and that didn't work either. Now I'm going to do the dd method even though it takes a very loooong time.
    I'll tell you afterwards if that worked!
    -Nik
  • newusernewuser February 2010
    try this:
    !/bin/sh
    cd /

mkdir tmp/backup

for dir in bin etc home lib root sbin usr var ; do

tar cv $dir | gzip -9 -c > tmp/backup/$dir.tar.gz

done
    cd tmp
    tar cv backup | gzip -9 -c > backup.tar.gz

#to open
    # for i in *.tar.gz; do tar -xvzf $i; done
  • NikNik February 2010
    Okay
    I did the "dd-method" and that worked fine!
    For copying it back I'm going to try your method, newuser and then tell you how that worked.
    I'm still a little confused why Clonezilla wasn't able to copy the partition because until that day I was able to copy everything with Clonezilla.
    Anyways, thank all of you for your support!
    greetings from Germany
    Nik

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social