This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

chrome seems to be instaled but...
  • hermit_hermit_ November 2009
    doesn't work! how can i test it? thanks...
  • evolution1979evolution1979 December 2009
    Im having the same problem, hopefully this can be fixed
  • merlinmerlin December 2009
    I downloaded the deb package of the 32 bit version of the new beta google chrome browser, converted it to a tazpkg package, and installed the tazpkg package. The browser seems to be successfully installed, but I cannot get it to run. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    At the command line I typed "tazpkg get-install google-chrome". At first the response is that the package google-chrome cannot be found, but then it proceeds to install get-google-chrome-1.00. After get-google-chrome (1.00) is installed, there is continuation to connect to dl.google.com, and several things are installed ending with the installation of google-chrome-unstable (4.0.239.30-r33928) that seems to be the same or similar to the version of google chrome beta installed by converting the deb package to the tazpkg package as described in the previous post. So google chrome seems successfully installed including the placement of a menu item in the internet section of the main menu. However, clicking on the menu item for google chrome does not run chrome. Neither does typing "chrome" or "google-chrome" on the command line in xterm. However, typing on the command line in xterm as root "/opt/google/chrome/chrome" successfully launches the browser google chrome. I have not tested other possible launch mechanisms. I do not know if it will run when the command is typed as tux. Anyway, except for some minor issues, this seems to be a successful working installation of the google chrome browser. Now the issue is how to install the flash player plugin. Any help or comments are appreciated. Thanks.
  • LineaLinea December 2009
    Hi merlin

Take a look here: http://community.slitaz.org/node/13
    Linea,

Thanks for the response. I use that command to install the flash player plugin for the firefox browser. Do you think it will also work for the google chrome browser? Also, I already have the flash player plugin installed for the firefox browser. If I type that command again, will it work again for the google chrome browser? Thanks.
    The command "/opt/google/chrome/chrome" also successfully launches the google chrome browser when typed as user tux in xterm.
    Regarding the flash player plugin, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the flash player plugin using the get-flash-plugin command, but I could not get the flash player to work in the google chrome browser. I found on the web with a google search a method to enable the flash player in google chrome in ubuntu. What worked for slitaz is to make a subdirectory /opt/google/chrome/plugins and copy the libflashplayer.so plugin file from the /usr/lib/firefox/plugins subdirectory to the /opt/google/chrome/plugins subdirectory. Just doing that apparently allows the google chrome browser to utilize the libflashplayer.so plugin file to play flash media. Any comments or questions are appreciated. Thanks.
  • jozeejozee December 2009
    Please check if this helps too:
    ln -s /usr/share/flash/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    Yes, thanks, I suspect that this may also work, though I have not yet tried it, although are you not linking the libflashplayer.so file found in /usr/share/flash to firefox in your example rather than google chrome? I guess I do not completely understand the ln command and/or your example. Perhaps you can explain? Thanks.
  • jozeejozee December 2009
    yes, you are right. Google-chrome (like opera and other browsers) should try to automatically read mozilla plugins instead of needing to create a plugins dir. I was checking if that works with chrome because we have already fixed this in get-flash-plugin script: http://hg.slitaz.org/wok/rev/354fd704a2fb
    Please test and let me know. thanks
    Well, it seems somewhat confusing to me, but this is what I did to try to test how the flash player plugin might work with google chrome. First, I boot the slitaz cooking cdrom. Then I fix the sound as detailed in another forum topic. Then I remove the taskbar panel wireless applet and add a second sound volume control applet since the first seems invisible. Then I install google chrome with the command "tazpkg get-install google-chrome". After some error messages about packages not found the apparent latest unstable version of google chrome is successfully installed. During this installation the adobe flash player is also installed. The flash player works in firefox but not in chrome. I tried the command "ln -s /usr/share/flash/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins", but there is no /usr/lib/mozilla subdirectory in my installation. Firefox seems to be installed in a subdirectory /usr/lib/fire* in my installation. I substituted /usr/lib/fire*/plugins in the link command, and the response was that the file already exists. In my installation the file libflashplayer.so is now in the /usr/share/flash subdirectory. The /usr/lib/fire*/plugins subdirectory contains I think a link to that file as the filename is colored blue instead of green. Anyway, I could not get the flash player to work in google chrome without creating a plugins subdirectory in the /opt/google/chrome subdirectory and copying the libflashplayer.so file to that /opt/google/chrome/plugins subdirectory. I hope this is somewhat clear and helps.
  • NikNik January 2010
    hey I don't know if anybody cares, but I figured out a way (for me) to make google-chrome start from the menu (or even the "application Launch bar")
    1st: Used the PcMan FileManager to navigate to /usr/share/applications
    2nd: Right-clicked on the "Google Chrome" image or whatever it is and opened it with the leafpad text editor
    3rd: went all the way down to a line that started with "Exec=..." (it's like the 6th line from the bottom)
    4th: edited that line like so: Exec=/opt/google/chrome/chrome %U
    5th: saved the document
    6th: smiled :D

took me faaaaar to long to figure that out -.- but I think it was worth it :)

greetz
    Nik

EDIT:
    I did also change the direction of the image file (.png) which is displayed on the lxpanel and in the menu because the previously used image does not exist.
    It works kinda like the first time.
    1st: Used the PcMan FileManager to navigate to /usr/share/applications
    2nd: Right-clicked on the "Google Chrome" file or whatever it is and opened it with the leafpad text editor
    3rd: went all the way down to a line that started with "Icon=..." (it's like the 4th line from the bottom)
    4th: edited that line like so: "Icon=/opt/google/chrome/product_logo_32.png"
    5th: aaaand saved the document
  • steph291steph291 November 2010
    when I try to execute Chrome, it's complainning about libcups.so.2
    no such file or directory... cannot open shared object file
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za November 2010
    Install the cups package and remember to add cupsd to menu->system tools->control box->initialization->run daemons, then click change. Chrome should run without problems now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social