This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Virtual Box guest additions
  • prabirshresthaprabirshrestha October 2009
    Could you tell us how you got Shared Folders to work? I've tried and it didn't work.
  • prabirshresthaprabirshrestha October 2009
    how do i have support for virtual box guest additions. like auto resize and mouse integration features?
    i even tried installing gcc, compiling the the vbox guest additions. but it then says it doesnt know how to configure coz its doesnt recogine the linux version or somethin. any details on how to configure?
  • seawolfseawolf October 2009
    The video stuff, like the features you listed, won't be available because SliTaz uses XVesa as the graphics system rather then Xorg, which is what Guest Additions knows. I imagine you can install the Xorg server and switch it for XVesa in the start-up scripts or, perhaps better, campaign to the VirtualBox people to support XVesa.

The other services, like Shared Folders, are still available and working though. I use them a lot and am glad of them :)
  • seawolfseawolf October 2009
    Spork --

If the kernel modules build correctly -- i.e. with no error output -- and the trouble comes on the installation bit, you're fine: the support is there.
    The script tells you that:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel module...
    Building the shared folder support kernel module...
    Building the drm support kernel module...
    Installing the VirtualBox Guest Additions...
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [at this point, no error messages means no bad news, everything has completed fine.]

As our installer does not recognize your Linux distribution, we were unable to
    set up the initialization script vboxadd correctly. The script has been copied
    copied to the /etc/init.d directory. You should set up your system to start
    it at system start, or start it manually before using VirtualBox.

As our installer does not recognize your Linux distribution, we were unable to
    set up the initialization script vboxadd-service correctly. The script has been copied
    copied to the /etc/init.d directory. You should set up your system to start
    it at system start, or start it manually before using VirtualBox.

"You should set up your system to start it at sytem start" <-- a bit of a giveaway...
    You may know that start-up scripts are contained inside the /etc/init.d/ directory. Heck, the output tells you. If you look there, you should see the two scripts, vboxadd & vboxadd-service, ready and waiting. Because SliTaz is lovely, rcS runs all the scripts in that directory at start-up by looping "scriptname start", so they are run at start-up. What isn't sorted is the loading of the kernel module. Either add 'vboxvfs' to the LOAD_MODULES line of /etc/rcS.conf, the rcS confirguration file, or use the GUI to do so (Control Box > Initi > Modules).

When you restart the system, you should be able to access your shared folder (you did set that up, right?) by running

mount.vboxsf sharename /mnt/mountpoint

as root.

Additionally, the script will output:

Could not find X.org or XFree86 on the guest system. The X Window drivers
    will not be installed.

confirming that the system does not have X.org, rather it uses XVesa.

HIH,
    seawolf
  • prabirshresthaprabirshrestha November 2009
    the share is working fine. but is it possible to get the compiler stuffs like mount.vboxsf and other necessary files as tazpkg or something. it would be much easier so we dont need to install the whole bunch of toolchains to compile it.
    i tried copyin those files from the workin slitaz os to a new slitaz os
    but when i runt mount.vboxsf i get the following error
    moutn.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: No such devices

bascially how do i manually copy and vbox addtions from a workin one to a new os.
  • prabirshresthaprabirshrestha November 2009
    i managed to copy the compiled ones to a clean installation of slitaz and its working. will recheck it again and give the details. i managed the shared folders to work but not the video and mouse integration.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social