This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

IS there supposed to be a GUI or something?
  • Spyro543Spyro543 March 2011
    When I run SliTaz from a CD, I see the "Boot baby... boot!" and then I press Enter. After it boots, it asks me what country I'm from and then I select it. Now it asks me for a username and password in a DOS-like screen. I have no idea what to type in so I type in root for each. Now it says "Welcome to your box." in another DOS-like screen. Now there's a command prompt and I type in startx. Now a huge long string of random characters appear and it says it can't run the program or something like that.

I have 2 questions:

Should I be encountering a GUI about now?

Should I re-download the ISO?

If someone could help me with this that would be great.
    More info: I'm using version 3.0. Should I use the cooking version? I'm trying to run this on a WIndows 7 computer and a WIndows ME computer.
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za March 2011
    Is this happening on both computers? If it is, then you might have a bad iso copy. Technically, what's happening is that X.org is failing to start, so everything GUI that depends on it doesn't work either.

I have noticed that some download managers breaks a slitaz iso download btw. This has happened to me 3 times using DownloadThemAll, but when I just download it normally with firefox, it works perfectly.

If this problem persists, even with a new downloaded iso, then maybe give the xvesa flavor of SliTaz a spin - it doesn't use X.org, so you'd bypass that if it's what is causing the problems. You can get it @ http://mirror.slitaz.org/iso/stable/flavors/

It does it on both computers. I'll give that version a tryout!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged

SliTaz Social