This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Survey memory consumption in Slitaz
  • tamerwizard_06tamerwizard_06 February 2011
    hi! I'm noob here. Can anyone tell me how to survey memory consumption in Slitaz? Is there an equivalently "top" command in Slitaz? Thanks!
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za February 2011
    Yes, it's called "top" :P There is also a htop package available from the package repository.

On my system SliTaz uses 25-30MB of RAM at boot on an HDD installed copy with 1% CPU usage @ idle. 0KB of Swap is used at boot too.
    Oh right. Stupid me. However, I have one more issue. Does the option [-n COUNT] works? It doesn't seem to work for me. For example, when I do "top -n 1", it prints the error "top: invalid number '-1' ". I don't know if this matters, but I am on a chroot. Thanks!
  • seawolfseawolf February 2011
    Try `top -n1`.

Interesting htop doesn't have this.

FWIW, I let my netbook sleep all the time so memory leaks are possible, but it's ~100MB out of a 1GB for a loaded desktop, with xcompmgr, xscreensaver, and a couple of other background stuffs. My server is ~37MB out of 1.5GB ready and waiting.
    Thanks! I think it just worked on chroot, though, no process was displayed! I am not sure, I'll try it later on a TC. Thanks!
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za February 2011
    If it helps, I have only Lxpanel, Openbox, PCMan Desktop and conky running when it boots and normally idles. I have vnstat and dbus by default. Maybe running sakis3g in the background has an effect too. I'm not using any x effects. My system is pretty custom though since I have bash as my shell, the real grep, ps, kill and several others too. Maybe it makes me run a little lighter than usual?

PS. The top in SliTaz is provided by busybox, so like most of it's commands, it's a cut down version of the original.
  • babaorumbabaorum February 2011
    Hi, did you read the man page ? Type man top (there is a pseudo "man" command in Slitaz, not the real one, pulling info from the web), or read this online man page.
    In addition, I think that no space is necessary between the option "-n" and the number.
    While top -n 1 will produce an error (parsing this as "-1" and not "1"), top -n1 does not.

P.S. Oops, your answer has already been replied. Please forget mine. ;-]
    Hi! it's already working. Thanks all!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social