This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Questions about live CDs and installation...
  • Maximus559Maximus559 November 2010
    I'm researching Slitaz as an alternative to Damn Small Linux. I've been running DSL on my old Inspiron 3000 laptop for a while now, and it's perfectly suited to the machine's specs (233 MHz Pentium, 112 MB RAM, 2 GB HDD). However, DSL is getting pretty old and I'd love to have a more modern web browser, so Slitaz looks like a good substitute.

My questions have to do with the different flavors of the live CD. The standard version won't work, since it requires 160 MB and I've only got 112. In theory, slitaz-loram should work since it only needs 80 MB, and since I've got more than that, I shouldn't need to go all the way down to slitaz-loram-cdrom. However, I've read that an error-free installation can only be performed with the full version of the live CD. So, my questions are these:

1) Is slitaz-loram the ISO I should use to try out Slitaz?

2) Will I need to use the full ISO for installation? (in text mode, presumably)

3) Is it true that once installed, Slitaz will run with only 16 MB of RAM?

I'd appreciate any answers you can give me. I suppose I could just start burning CDs, but I'm trying to cut down on the guesswork so I don't have to waste time and/or CD-Rs.
  • kultexkultex November 2010
    1) yes
    2) no - you can use the lowram iso
    3) yes, but I think only without x (never tried X on 16 MB with swap)
  • jozeejozee November 2010
    OR you can try our latest 4in1 iso CD: http://mirror.slitaz.org/iso/cooking/flavors/slitaz-cooking-4in1.iso

This will be the default from the next cooking and the RAM requirement should be 32MB. It magically allows you to choose multiple flavors. "base"="32 MB"; justx="96MB".
  • YarroYarro November 2010
    Went booting live CD I am given a log in but since I have not established a username and password I can't get past the log in. Is this a known issue or is it just me? Any solutions, the faq seemed esoteric
  • YarroYarro November 2010
    Never mind...
  • Maximus559Maximus559 November 2010
    Okay... just out of curiosity, can anybody with a normal hard drive install check their hardware monitor to see how much RAM their idle desktop uses?
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za November 2010
    Mine uses about 10% or less, which is like 22MB? Hopefully that gives you an idea ;)
  • TotoetsasoeurTotoetsasoeur November 2010
    Hi,
    If you wanna make good comparison, we should all use the same command. ;-)

@Trixar_za What specific command do you use to know RAM usage?
  • revenazrevenaz November 2010
    @ totoetsasoeur : free ou cat /proc/meminfo
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za November 2010
    @Totoetsasoeur: I use htop which comes with the htop package - it's terminal based, very powerful (you can kill processes with it - amongst other things) and way lighter than using the graphical one provided in the menu.
    @Trixar_za but htop is not very precise with mem used by slitaz - this I recogniced, when I installed Openoffice with get-openoffice - with htop I had still quite a lot of mem, but the compilation failed, do to the lack of mem
  • TotoetsasoeurTotoetsasoeur November 2010
    @Trixar_za: thx
    @kultex: Indeed. This is why we should, at least, all use the same command to answer Maximus559 question. But I agree that not all command give the same result. By the way, what command do you use for RAM usage?

I have not really continued on this, but I found top more precise, but still I thought, that it is not really tru

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social