This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

chromium-browser
  • how can i install chromium-browser? is it in the repositories or do i have to manually compile it ? 
  • also is get-google-chrome the google-chrome package or chromium-browser?
  • babaorumbabaorum March 2011
    Chrome and Chromium are not exactly the same indeed. get-google-chrome will compile a Chrome package for SliTaz and it will install it.

I did not find any Chromium-related SliTaz package in official database though. You may have to compile it yourself. I do not use Chrome, but I always hear that it needs the print utility cups to work.
    Then if you wish to try compilation from source, you may have to install the development package of cups before (cups-dev probably).
    Please wait for more detailed answers if you are not at ease with compiling from source.

Another solution is too find a package for chrome from another distribution (it could be a *.rpm, a *.deb or other ones) and try to convert it with tazpkg convert. Sometimes it fails, because of missing dependencies or anything else, but it also can work flawlessly.

My two cents,
    -Babaorum
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za March 2011
    Erm... Chromium is a fork of Chrome, but without Google support. It's also open source and is meant to have features that google refuse to implement. Well that's the idea anyway. Generally these features haven't really been implemented much. So the main reason to go with Chromium is to get away from Google.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged

SliTaz Social