This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Partitioning the hard drive
  • Spyro543Spyro543 March 2011
    I want to create a partition for SliTaz on my computer, I really like it. Better than Windows. But I have a problem: GParted won't let me create more than 4 partitions on my computer, and there are already 4. I have 2 hard drives built in, that takes up 2. Then there are 2 more partitions: RECOVERY and SYSTEM. Uh, what can I do?

There are 2 drives, C: and D: (sda3 and sda4). C: contains Windows, while D: contains all of my videos, music, and programming projects but it also contains some system software so I'm wary about combining the sda3 and sda4 partitions. What can I do without Destroying Windows or losing some system software and projects?
    In case anyone is wondering why I want to keep winodws is becuase Game Maker 8 Pro is installed on WIndows.
  • slicelslicel March 2011
    Create an extended partition to sub-divide into logical partitions.

You could see if game maker runs in wine instead of windows.
    About extended partitions, how would I go about making one?
  • ChristopheChristophe March 2011
    i would backup D: on an external hard drive then delete the partition, then use gparted to create a new extended partion in the  freeed space then create there 3 partitions
    1 ntfs or fat to put back the video that wehre on d: (will be d: still, once everything is set up)
    1 for / (i would put 3 GB for that)
    1 for /home (I would put 5 GB for that)
    1 for the swap space (dependds on the size of your ram, 1 or 2 GB i guess

Yes, that would work but what about Windows? Not that I like it or anything, I am currently using SliTaz, But just wondering. Could I change my boot order so whenever the hard drive is plugged it it boots from that? :/
  • ChristopheChristophe March 2011
    yes. WIth Grub.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged

SliTaz Social