This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

X server doesn't work after installation of Intel driver
  • YoavYoav November 2010
    Hi,

I am trying to set my screen resolution to the proper one. I use a Dell Latitude D400 and the native resolution is 1024x768. The graphic chipset is an Intel 82852/855GM.

I tried tollowing the instrictions in the "guides" section and ran "tazx", selected "intel" from the list and let it run. At the end it said there was 1 error at line 26.

When I restarted the computer, after the usuall boot sequence, I ended up with a blank screen. I used alt-F1 to get to another terminal and exchanged the new /etc/X11/xorg.conf with the old one I saved earlier, and I am back to ground zero.

So, how can I change my screen resolution to the appropriate one?
    Is there no graphical utility in SliTaz to set screen resolution?

Cheers,

Yoav
  • mojomojo November 2010
    No gui for resolution.
    You were able to get a screen with vesa.
    This is a piece of cake \^_^/
    Start here: http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:xorg-xvesa
    After you install linux-agp.tazpkg I prefer to add intel_agp to /etc/rcS.conf LOAD_MODULES=
    Verify xorg-xf86-video-intel.tazpkg is installed
    Kill xserver with Ctrl+Alt+BkSpace
    Login as root password is root
    Run command
    root@slitaz:~# X  -configure

Test the xorg.conf.new:
    root@slitaz:~# X -config  xorg.conf.new

If it's good you see a gray mat screen with a large X for your cursor.
    Kill xserver with Ctrl+Alt+BkSpace
    Replace your existing xorg.conf:
    root@slitaz:~# cp xorg.conf.new  /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Start openbox:
    root@slitaz:~# slim

My 15" laptop screen auto configured to 1280x800 without any edits to the preconfigured xorg.conf

Look at Configuring X / adding resolutions for forcing a different resolution by editing xorg.conf or add xorg-xrandr.tazpkg to do it on the fly.

Now setup dri/drm mesa 3d etc..if you want.
  • ms3811ms3811 November 2010
    There appears to be a different issue going on. When you install cooking and then run say tazx, tazx installs the intel driver and a bunch of related packages. Seems like a lot of needed packages are getting installed under /lib/modules/2.6.36/kernel/... instead of /lib/modules/2.6.34 which is the default kernel loaded when you boot cooking. This results in none of the modules (915resolution, intel-agp, drm, etc.) being available for modprobe because depmod looks under 2.6.34 not 2.6.36.

Running tazpkg upgrade, then rebooting to the upgraded kernel resolves this issue.

It is possible I got the above all wrong (I'm no linux expert). I did not run into this issue when I installed cooking on my other laptop a few days ago. Before tazpkg upgrade I tried "tazpkg get-install packagename --forced" on a bunch of the above packages wondering why none of them are available for modprobe. That's when I noticed that it was downloading version 2.6.36.

@Yoav, this post is only relevant to you if you run into an issue following @mojo's tips above. Especially when you get to the part of "intel_agp", if you get errors such as "modprobe: module intel-agp not found in modules.dep" or errors like "no screens found", etc. then you could try tazpkg upgrade. Otherwise just follow @mojo's instructions and you should be good.
  • mojomojo November 2010
    The SliTaz team is pleased to announce the release of a new cooking ISO featuring over 2600 packages. It contains Linux Kernel 2.6.34 and was rebuilt with a new toolchain using glibc 2.11.2 and gcc 4.5.1. Xorg has been fully updated to 1.9.2.

@ms3811
    Thanks for this observation and post.
    This is a tazpkg repo problem.
    Stable has 2.6.30.6
    Cooking has 2.6.36
    Which repo has the modules for Linux Kernel 2.6.34 ?

@Yoav ,
    root@slitaz: uname -r 

If that outputs 2.6.34 you'll have to upgrade to 2.6.36 since there are no kernel modules for 2.6.34
    Reckon you meant "It contains Linux Kernel 2.6." 36? I downloaded the cooking iso about a week back and it installed .34. My other laptop that I installed a week ago still works off of .34. I used the same ISO today and it installed the .34 kernel, and when I couldn't get it to work, I did "tazpkg upgrade" and it upgraded to .36. Something changed between last week and now? My menu.lst still shows two entries, .34 and .36, I have now set my default to .36 to get everything working properly.
  • mojomojo November 2010
    I was referring to the kernel version that the modules like linux-agp.tazpkg are compiled against in the stable(2.6.30.6) and cooking(2.6.36) repo's

Like you stated a solution is to immediately upgrade cooking 20101104 iso which is kernel 2.6.34 to kernel 2.6.36
    ok, got it. thanks.
  • YoavYoav November 2010
    Hey,

So, I followed Mojo's instructions and ended up with another blank screen after the

X -config xorg.conf.new

So I did not change my xorg.conf, hard rebooted and I am back with the low resolution.

My kernel is 2.6.30.6-slitaz.

Any other things I should know in order to get help? I am sorry, but I am not a linux expert (educated user would be a better description), and help would be appreciated. Let me know what commands and output will help diagnose my issue and I will put it in here.

Some of the issues I was not sure of:

AGP: when using lspci, how do I know whether my card is agp or not?
    DRI/DRM: how do I know whether I should load those modules?

Thanks a lot for the help guys!

Yoav
    Seems like you are running stable. If that is the case, the mismatch of kernel versions shouldn't affect you, that is an issue with cooking only as far as I know.

With regards to AGP and DRM, I'm not sure how you find out if your card supports it or not, but I would doubt it if it would cause an error or malfunction. So you can simply enable those modules to be on the safer side, it shouldn't harm. I would imagine if that card does not support it, it'll simply not utilize those modules. Note that dri is loaded in xorg.conf whereas drm and intel_agp are loaded in rcS.conf (LOAD_MODULES section).

Did you follow the instructions at http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:xorg-xvesa? There is a bug with dri in stable, steps to address that are in the documentation in the link above. Make sure you take care of that.

Do you have Internet connectivity on the Slitaz box? I am assuming you have all the necessary packages installed (@mojo: Verify xorg-xf86-video-intel.tazpkg is installed). If you can, post the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log. It might be helpful to delete the existing log file, then restart the box and then post the contents of the new log file created.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social