This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

screen resolution
  • farcusfarcus October 2010
    have managed to install slitaz on an old IBM thinkpad.
    The problem I am having is that I cannot set the correct screen resolution.

At the moment slitaz displays using about 60% of the available screen centered in the middle with black unusable borders for the rest of the screen.

How can I set it to use the full screen using a screen resolution 1280x1024

onboard video is SMI LynxEM4
  • KristianKristian October 2010
    Hi farcus,
    I had the exact same problem (except I have a lower max resolution) with my TP 770. I can send you the files that worked for me if you'd like?

Kristian
    that would be great - please send to < (edited) at gmail.com >
  • KristianKristian October 2010
    Done, I hope it's somewhat helpful... Perhaps if you change the driver and the resolution, you'll have success?
    thanks for that.
    Those files are somewhat th same as what I have on my more high spec Opensuse machine.

Unfortunately, they haven't solved my problem. They have the same result as if I edit xorg.conf myself which is only able to boot into a command screen. Trying t invoke startx brings up tazx which doesn't appear to do anything. Click the configure button and it takes to me to another window with a quit option.
  • farcusfarcus November 2010
    anybody able to help me out here.
    I should point out that I noted the wrong resolution above. Should not read 1280x1024 but 1024x768
    Kristian's xorg.conf.d folder didn't help out. Changed the driver he had noted to vesa but only boots to command screen. startx does not launch the gui but brings up tazx which seems as useful as a piece of used toilet paper. :-)
  • ms3811ms3811 November 2010
    to state the obvious, I hope you are connected to the Internet when you run tazx. If you are, don't bother reading further.

Tazx needs to connect to the repos to download a list of graphics adapters and their drivers. Once it downloads this list, it will then present you with the option of selecting your driver. When you select a driver from the list, it will then proceed to download necessary files, and then complete installation of that driver.

In the absence of a connection to the Internet, you will typically see what you are seeing, only the option to quit.
  • farcusfarcus November 2010
    solved the problem. After some trial and error copied some screen info from Kristian's files into xorg.conf and with a little adjustment finally have my correct screen resolution.
    Never used Slitaz before so no, it wasn't obvious - had no idea that had to be connected to the internet for tazx to work - but thanks - I'll give this a go and see if I can improve on the current vesa driver.
  • TotoetsasoeurTotoetsasoeur November 2010
    Hi farcus,
    I am glad for you that the problem is solved. Congratulations. ;-)

However, as many Slitaz users have problems with xorg, it would be nice of you, if you could post your working xorg.conf.

Moreover, if I may ask, what are the "little adjustments" that did the trick? Here as well, it would be great if you could give us the relevant lines from your working xorg.conf.

Thank you for sharing.
    :-)
    Cheers.
    Stephane
  • vincentreynoldsvincentreynolds November 2010
    i had the same problem. but thanks to this thread i got it resolved. thanks everyone.

@farcus, sorry that was a mistype. Meant to say "At the risk of stating the obvious...", I realize it isn't quite obvious to the new user. Took a few runs at it myself to figure it out when I first started with Slitaz.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social