This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

SliTaz on Asus EEE PC 1005PE - Network not working, Screen resolution problems
  • harpyaharpya October 2010
    Hi all,

I putted the CD in Ext. Dvd-rom, SliTaz started, booted, but .. it's only in console. I have tried to type "startx", but something went wrong - " Fatal error: no screens found" soo, I tried to check my internet connection - simply typed "ping -c google.com" - " Bad address google.com " .. Now, I'm stucked, I don't know what to do. My router is 100% working, net cable 100% - on other distros is internet working properly .. So, if You can, please, help me =) Much thanks.

Btw. I have tried:

ifconfig eth0 up

I'm sorry for my bad english. =)
  • erniaernia October 2010
    Which version of slitaz, 3.0 or cooking?
    output of
    cat /proc/net/dev
    ?
    to start X if it does not start itself dont use startx but, as root, /etc/init.d/slim start . but you must edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf in 3.0 or files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d in cooking.
    did you see this:
    http://labs.slitaz.org/wiki/slitaz-eeepc ?
    but i think (from the kernel version) that it's an old release
    Hi ernia, thanks for your reply.

I'm using SliTaz 3.0 Stable.

"cat /proc/net/dev" it's full of 0.

I have tried to start slim but it only shows "Starting slim login manager: [ OK ] " and nothing happened. And I don't know, how to edit xorg.conf file, if you can, please :-)
  • erniaernia October 2010
    slim doesn't start because Xorg is misconfigured.
    you could try to put something similar to

HorizSync 30.00 - 70.00
    VertRefresh 50.00 - 76.00
    in the Monitor section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and start slim.
    if you don't have any output with
    cat /proc/net/dev | grep eth
    the kernel does not load the module for you network card.
    post the output of lspci
    Lines about network controllers:

02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

Oh god, but I'm sure, that before reboot it was loaded properly !

EDIT: Man ! You are genius ! I added HorizSync and VertRefresh to xorg.conf and it's all right ! But i think, that screen resolution is .. a little bit lower.
  • mojomojo October 2010
    Add this to xorg.conf :
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection

For wireless:
    root@slitaz: tazpkg get-install linux-wireless

Add ath9k to LOAD_MODULES= of /etc/rcS.conf
    Reboot
    Setup connection here:
    Menu/System Tools/Wireless Networks Connections

More setup help: http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:start
  • GokhlayehGokhlayeh October 2010
    Hi harpya,

I use the same hardware, here's some informations about it :
    * wifi sucks in stable because kernel doesn't support this hardware (you need a most recent version).
    * resolution sucks in stable because intel driver is not well supported, it can be solved with some tweaks.

The simple solution is : install slitaz cooking -wifi will works out-of-the-box -, then as root :

rm /dev/dri
    tazpkg get-install xorg-xf86-video-intel
    tazpkg get-install xorg-xf86-input-synaptics
    tazx config-xorg
    reboot

I pushed some code on cooking to handle this hardware out-of-the-box so all will works fine without any other configuration :
    * wifi
    * 1024*600 resolution
    * 3D acceleration

Note : I havn't test the cam as I don't use it, but maybe I can help to improve support for it if it's needed.

Note : you can use lxrandr to easily change the resolution.
    I have got a little problem. If i try to boot SliTaz from Cooking version, my wired connection is not working. I have Archlinux as my main OS. But, I would try SliTaz, it's lightweight, small and useful OS, I like it but .. The problem is:

I try to boot it from DVD (Yes, DVD :D), It boot up normally, then I have to try, if my internet connection is OK. But, it is not. "ping -c google.com" - bad address

Output from lspci only shows Wireless Network Adapter, but it has to show Wireless Network Adapter and Ethernet controller .. Then I rebooted it to Archlinux, try "ping -c google.com" and .. BAD ADDRESS ! So, I have to take out the battery from netbook (in offline status) and put it back.

Then it works. But only in Archlinux. If i try to boot SliTaz it won't work.
  • GokhlayehGokhlayeh October 2010
    Maybe cooking configure only the wireless connexion by default. Have you tried to start udhcp using netbox ?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social