This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Package manager (solved)
  • bwwbww October 2010
    Hello,
    I'm a newbie to Slitaz and linux I have an older machine and was looking for an o. s. I could run on it. I am trying Slitaz 3.0 I have downloaded and burned the live CD and tried just running from memory and it seemed to work ok. So I loaded the program to the hard drive and was trying to download packages from the package manager. I have recharged the list and updated all the packages so I would get the latest information the problem comes when I double click on a package nothing happens, the package gets highlighted but that's it the window that should open next (as I've seen on youtube) doesn't open allowing me to choose either download or download & install. I am not familiar with the scripts coming from windows that's why I was using the GUI. is my download missing something or am I doing something wrong ?
    It wouldn't work from the live CD either.
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    BW
  • seawolfseawolf October 2010
    HI @bww --

This is very strange. My original thought is that the package info pop-up is behind the window; can you click on other items in the list after double-clicking a package?
    - yes: the pop-up hasn't activated.
    - no: the pop-up has activated but isn't shown, perhaps Alt+Tabbing will show it?

A method of identifying errors is to run the graphical package manage interface through a Terminal:
    - switch to root/administrative user with: su
    - enter the root password which is: root
    - start with: tazpkgbox
    - Try to double-click on an item and see if anything happens, both in the GUI and Terminal

If nothing happens, you can very easily install packages from the Terminal. Just:
    - switch to root/administrative user with: su
    - enter the root password which is: root
    - use tazpkg get-install [packagename]: tazpkg get-install clearlooks

You could try re-installing the Package Manager by switching to root and using:
    tazpkg get-install tazpkg --forced
    to re-install them. Which version downloads, 3.4?

HIH.
  • bwwbww October 2010
    Hi Seawolf
    Thanks for the reply, answer to your first question is yes --(so he pop up hasn't activated )

I did you run the graphical package manager interface through the terminal and was able to download packages through this new window this new window seems to work.
    the error messages is the terminal reported were as follows;
    (process 4178 ): Gtk-warning **: locale not supported by C library , using the fallback 'C' locale
    (gtkdialog:4178 ): pango warning invalid UTF-8string passed to pango_layout set_text ( )
    so should I try resulting the package manager ?
    The version of slitaz downloaded was 3.0.iso
    Thanks very much for your help
    Bww
    Hmm, when I run tazpkgbox in a Terminal, I get both of those messages and it's okay. The warning about locale is known to show whenever apps are run through a terminal and it isn't a problem.

I would update Tazpkg from the root terminal, just to be on the safe side. Then, rehcarge the package lists. This can be done in one Terminal command:
    su -c 'tazpkg get-install tazpkg --forced && tazpkg recharge'

and entering root when asked.

Just to confirm: do you get any packages listed when you upgrade?
  • bwwbww October 2010
    seawolf
    I updated Tazpkg from the root terminal as you suggested, and now it seems to be working OK the last time I upgraded it said no available upgrades 2076 installable 2294 mirrored
    so the learning curve will continue here ,and I'm sure we'll have more questions.This OS has put new life back in this old machine.
    Again thanks so much for your help
    BWW
    Great, no problems :) That identifies a change since the v3 ISO came out then.
    Could you just edit the title of your first post to add [Solved] and close please? Thanks :)
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social