This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Creating a new user: no desktop icons, no start up menu, nothing...
  • GiancarloGiancarlo October 2010
    Hi to everybody. I am trying to create a new user on my laptop with Slitaz. Apparently it should be simple:
    I used Control Box in root mode and created a new user. But when I try to log in with new user login and password... well, login is successfull, but new user's desktop is completely empty, no start up menu, no icons, nothing! The only thing I can do is to right click with mouse and choose log out from context menu! What am I missing? Thanks a lot to everybody!
    Giancarlo
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za October 2010
    This is a bug with SliTaz's /etc/skel folder, because it's missing a few important configuration files, namely the ones used by Openbox. The easiest way to fix this is to copy over your .config folder to the new user's .config folder (you only really need the slitaz, leafpad, openbox and lxpanel directories here) and also copy over the contents of your .local/share folder to theirs (here you only need the applications, mine and openbox directories). You're also going to need .xinitrc and .xsession from your home directory too. You can probably avoid having to go through all this mess again by copying these files to your /etc/skel folder (in the right places of course), so any future users you create will have these files there already.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you very much! I copied all files you suggested and now desktop and applications are working in new user's login.

The only problem is with Midori: I can't start it in new user login, since I receive the message "The search engines couldn't be loaded. Permission denied. The history couldn't be loaded. Failde to open database: unable to open database file". If I choose IGNORE, Midori runs just for a fraction of second and then closes.

Is there any simple solution for this problem? Thanks again for your kindness!
    Sorry... the other problem (I noticed it just now) is that new user can now see and modify all my directories and files! It seems that copying my configuration files in his home directory, I gave him all rights on my own files! How can I do? Thanks!
    Yeah, this is another bug in SliTaz - by default all users have access to everything. You should be able to fix this the easy way by going to terminal, su to root, then typing pcmanfm &

This will popup the file manager with root powers, so now go to /home, right click the folder with your username, click properties, click the permissions tab and clear all the Other Users boxes. Make sure all Owner and Group boxes are checked, also check the Set UID and Set GID boxes. Also make sure the Owner and Group both has your username in them. Now click OK, and Click Yes when it asks you. It may throw an error like it did with me, but now the new user shouldn't be able to see or use your files at all.

You can do the same for the new user too, to hide their files from you and other users.

As for Midori - try copying over the midori files from your .config folder and .local/share folder. Then try using the above trick with the file manger with root on the new user's .config and .local folders and change the Owner and Group to their username and checking the Set UID and Set GID boxes. This will force all the files you copied over for them to be owned by them, which will fix any permission denied errors they might get.
    Thank you for your super fast answer!

I solved the problem of access rights following your explanation. Thanks!

As for Midori, tried copying all files in my .config/midori folder, but it seems impossible to copy "midori_socket_slit" file. If I try I always receive the message "no such device or address". Permissions are ok, but it is still impossible to execute Midori.

What about uninstalling and re-installing it? Do you think it could solve the problem?

Thanks a lot once more!
    Yeah, try tazpkg get-install midori --forced and see if that helps. Otherwise you could just try switching to firefox or chrome.

Also tell me what you get if you try running midori from your terminal. It should print out a bunch of error messages for you.

EDIT: You could also try tazpkg reconfigure midori
    Running Midori from terminal produces:

bind: Permission denied
    ** (midori: 1370): WARNING **:Error loading plugin: libaspell.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    The configuration couldn't be loaded: Permission denied

Are you able to understand what does it mean?

Thanks a lot again!
  • seawolfseawolf October 2010
    See: http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:faq-dependency

seawolf@sammy:~ $ tazpkg search-pkgname aspell.so.15

Search result for file : aspell.so.15
    ================================================================================
    aspell

================================================================================
    1 pkg(s) found with file : aspell.so.15

So:
    tazpkg get-install aspell --forced

Wasn't this a missing dependency that is fixed in Cooking?
    I installed aspell as suggested. Now, running Midori from terminal, the message is simply:

bind: Permission denied
    The configuration couldn't be loaded: Permission denied

So missing dependency message disappeared, but Midori doesn't work in any case.

I tried also with
    tazpkg get-install midori --forced
    but even this one didn't solve the problem. Note that Midori runs correctly under root and under my login. The problem happens only when trying to run it in a new user login.

Any other idea? Thank you very much for helping!
  • mojomojo October 2010
    Verify permissions/ownership of .config directory:
    ls -la /home/new.user
    drwxr-xr-x 16 new.user new.user 4096 Oct 9 01:15 .config

Most programs generate a new clean default configuration with the correct permissions when it can't find the old one.
    Rename midori's configuration folder to /home/new.user/.config/midori.old
    Verify in terminal you're logged in as the new.user with the whoami command.
    Open midori, you'll notice a new folder named midori is in the /home/new. user/.config directory
    I know you lost all your previous settings but it's a new.user :P
    Thanks a lot to everybody for your kindness. But Slitaz is far too complicated for me, there are too many problems and bugs arising here and where unpredictably. I decided to move to Puppy Linux, which is a bit more stable. Thanks again!
  • conradconrad November 2010
    I just installed Slitaz, but I only seem to be able to log in as root. I thought I had established another user. How do I do so, so I won't always be in root?
  • mojomojo November 2010
    Regular user is named tux with no password. slitaz is not a multiuser locked down os. Addusers is broken,errors logging into X,there may also be security issues with file permissions on new accounts.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social