This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

thinking about useing slitaz
  • jakejake October 2010
    i'm thinking about installing Slitaz on my computer but i have a few questions first.
    1) i want to keep my current installment of windows, do i need to partition my hard drive from windows first or will Slitaz do this for me?
    2) what is the file extension for executable files? .deb maybe?
    3) im a gamer, i would like to use wine doors to run games in Slitaz, so i'm wondering what kind of support there is for graphics cards (i have an Nvidia 9800gtx+) and how well wine doors works if it works at all
    4) im a hobbits programmer, i love gnu gcc/g++ but prefer using an IDE rather than command line or make files, are there plenty of IDE's that will run on Slitaz? i really like code::blocks, would i be able to use code::blocks?

let be a little more clear on number 1, it boots from a cd right? so will i have assess to my windows files and be able to save stuff on my hard drive that i'm currently using for use with both windows and SliTaz?
  • ChristopheChristophe October 2010
    1) slitaz has gparted which will allow you to resize your partitions and create new ones. you will be able to access your windows drive.
  • jakejake October 2010
    cool deal, im running slitaz now, extremmly fast!!! i installed code::blocks as well, i do have one more question first how ever, how do i change the screen resoltion?
  • GokhlayehGokhlayeh October 2010
    2) what is the file extension for executable files? .deb maybe?
    .deb is the extension for packages in Debian GNU/Linux. Package is not executable, it's compressed files; Debian take this archive and extract the files in the system to install the package (which can contains executable and/or other types of files). The package can contain some code to execute during installation process. SliTaz use a similar method, but extension for our packages is tazpkg. Most executables doesn't have an extension in GNU/Linux, but they are in specifics folders (/sbin, /bin, /usr/bin & /usr/sbin) and GNU/Linux can recognize them as executables with their content and with the fact they have a permission to execute. Some people use .sh extension for shell script but I think it's a weird idea : I don't want to type mytool.sh when I use command line : I want to type mytool

3) im a gamer, i would like to use wine doors to run games in Slitaz, so i'm wondering what kind of support there is for graphics cards (i have an Nvidia 9800gtx+) and how well wine doors works if it works at all

wine works fine on SliTaz, I don't know about wine doors. If you install wine you will need the optional package jack-audio-connection-kit, which is used to make sound work. I tested wine on SliTaz, Ubuntu and Debian. It works well with most good games.
    There's a package which install proprietary drivers for Nvidia, I never test it. I think it works, if not you can add Nvidia support using another way, but it's more difficult (compiling a kernel module), but it's efficient. I think you should check the doc, guide section to learn more about how to install this.

4) im a hobbits programmer, i love gnu gcc/g++ but prefer using an IDE rather than command line or make files, are there plenty of IDE's that will run on Slitaz? i really like code::blocks, would i be able to use code::blocks?

As often in GNU/Linux distribution you will find a lot of programmer tools. SliTaz use beaver by default, I prefer IDE Geany. code::blocks is available in SliTaz, the packages is named codeblocks.

Hope it answer to your questions.
  • jakejake October 2010
    thanks that dose clear a lot of things up. still wondering about screen resoltion, i have a 1920x1080 screen that i would like to use to it's fullest if possible. right now its choped off so that it dosn't use about an inch and half from each side and the resoltion is preety low. how might i remidy this?
  • jakejake October 2010
    im having issues with gcc, it dosn't have any of the header files it is supposed to have, how do i obtain these headers?
  • mojomojo October 2010
    root@slitaz: tazpkg get-install linux-headers

slitaz only includes vanilla vesa video driver on iso.
    Use lspci command to determine your video chip.
    Install xorg video driver tazpkg for your chip and whatever other support packages are needed.
    Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf if necessary.
    See this to fine tune your video:
    http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:xorg-xvesa
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za October 2010
    @jake also remember to tazpkg get-install slitaz-toolchain
    It installs all the packages and programs you need to compile stuff on SliTaz.

Sometimes you'll need something extra to compile something, like a mesa support for an application. To compile something with mesa (opengl), you need to get the mesa-dev package. All packages has a -dev package for it. All the -dev does is install the headers you'll need to compile.

But for normal compiling slitaz-toolchain will work just fine.
  • jakejake October 2010
    ok cool i installed code::blocks and SliTaz tool chain, it gives me error saying that bin\debug canot be created. i tried making the folder my self but got the same error. why can a folder not be created by either me or code::blocks? im guessing that /bin/ is write protected and needs adminstator aproval to do somthing, how do i allow this?
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za October 2010
    Weird... well, from terminal you can use the su command to switch to root (administrator). Then you could probably just type mkdir /bin to create it.

Alternatively (and it's way easier) - you could just go to terminal (xterm - I prefer sakura myself), do the whole su to root thing and then just type pcmanfm & - then you'd be using the file manager with administrative privilages.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social