This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

System hangs at the login screen
  • AshwinAshwin September 2010
    Hello,

I am using slitaz 3.0. I followed the guide at http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:kernel.
    I made a custom kernel with RTAI patch. Everything went smooth.

Problem: When I boot into my new kernel the system hangs at the login screen.
    I cannot enter my username or password.

I am using 2.6.30.5 kernel(with RTAI 3.8.1 patch).

Please help.

Thank you.
    Ashwin M. Damle
  • babaorumbabaorum September 2010
    Hi,
    Please display a "real" console (Ctrl-Alt-F1 will display one of these) and see if you can log in as root (login = root, pass = ... any root pass, "root" by default, same as login).
    Then try to display log messages (located in /var/log/). The interesting ones should be "boot.log" and "slim.log" IMHO).

--Babaorum
  • AshwinAshwin September 2010
    Hello Babaorum,

I tried to Ctrl-Alt-F1 but No luck I am not able to log in. It doesn't allow me to Ctrl-Alt-F1. It's frozen.
    What could be the problem?I can't figure out.

Thanks.
    Ashwin M. Damle
  • seawolfseawolf September 2010
    I had/have this problem on Cooking and can't figure it out either; I'm back to Stable. I though it was the gfx or input drivers but I couldn't get it going. You may have more luck than me changing to the VESA gfx driver, disabling HAL etc.

Try booting directly into text-mode by hitting 'E' when the bootloader appears (on the message "Booting SliTaz in 2 seconds...") and edit the 'kernel' line. Append to the end of that line:
    screen=text

before pressing Enter and 'B' to boot the custom config. You should then have a command line interface from which you can view the log files.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social