This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Can't get persistence on 3.0 LiveCD USB
  • Inane_AsylumInane_Asylum August 2010
    When I set home=UUID, the .Xauthority for tux (or any other account I create) goes missing, and I can't log in as anything but root. I've tried workarounds such as copying the .Xauthority from the live session when home isn't set, then pasting it back to /home/tux/ afterwards...still no luck. I've copied everything from /etc/skel/ to no avail. Nothing works.

Any ideas?
  • tikbalangtikbalang August 2010
    did you put the actual UUID value of the partition and not "UUID" text? you can see the UUID values by issuing "blkid" command at the console.
  • kultexkultex August 2010
    did you change the permission for your home directory?
  • krusader23krusader23 August 2010
    It happens to me also. I've got the usb stick formatted in fat32.
    The fat filesystem doesn't preserve all file permissions from the ext2/ext3 filesystem. Try it for yourself:
    go to /home (/home must be mounted), create a file and then set it's file permissions to chmod a-x filename . It won't work.
    You can log in as root because when the slitaz filesystem image is created, /root is gziped into that image. And if you gzip some files, they preserve the permissions of the filesystem they were stored on, even if the archive itself is stored on a fat32 filesystem (which (fat32) doesn't preserve all file permissions).
    I've run into that problem when I wanted to move my /root to /home/root directory and found about the issue with file permissions.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social