This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

brand new linux user needs a bit of help!
  • bespinboybespinboy August 2010
    hello im having trouble with understanding linux right now. im brand new to it and just put slitaz on a dvd-rom and gave it a go about an hour ago, and its completely different from what im used to. i've tried out a few things, such as browsing folders on my windows drive, playing music, and browsing the internet (which im doing right now).
    i am quite experienced with windows, but ive just never heard any bad things about linux, so im trying it out. some things that confuse me are that to, for example, install a file, you apparently have to run source code...i'm just used to running a .exe file and letting it do all the work.
    i like it so far, but just some of the mechanics confuse me a bit, such as how to run linux under the "root" user. if anybody could give me a few pointers on how this all works, or otherwise point me to some sort of documentation, i'd be very greatful.
    thanks in advance!
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za August 2010
    When I first when over (2 years ago), I was just as confused, but I've used shell hosting before, so the command line part wasn't all that new to me

Anyway, the first thing you need to know is that you don't always have to compile stuff. You get something called a package manager in many Linux variations. In SliTaz that's called tazpkg and it has a handy graphical front end to help you in the System tools menu. Do a couple of searches based on descriptions and using terms like "game" or "email" - it should help you find what you're looking for.

As for root - if you're using the LiveCD, then going root is pretty easy. The password is tux. Now to go root in the terminal (command line - xterm), you type su, press enter, type root as the password and press enter. Congrats, you just went root (which is exactly the same as Administrator in Windows). If you installed it to your HDD, then the password is the same as your user password.

Now if you don't find something in the package manager, you'll have to compile it yourself. This is much easier than most people make it out to be and the process is almost always the following 7 steps:

1. Download the source code archive (normally in tar.gz or tar.bz2 format)
    2. Uncompress the archive - normally through the command line with tar zxf filename.tar.gz or tar xfj filename.tar.bz2
    3. Read the INSTALL file and install any package your missing. Remember to install the -dev copy of the files too. For example the package sdl also has a sdl-dev package which is used during compiling.
    4. Configuring it it to make the program with ./configure --prefix=/usr
    5. make
    6. su to root
    7. make install

If everything compiled correctly, you shouldn't get any errors. That's pretty much it.
    You might want to install the slitaz-toolchain package before trying the above though.

Anyway, if you're looking for some good tutorials, I suggest searching for "SliTaz Tutorials" on Youtube - there's some pretty good ones on how to use SliTaz on both the command line and graphical side.
  • davch17csodavch17cso August 2010
    I was trying to run the latest distro of SliTaz live CD. When I got to the user and password area I got lost. How do I go on to run the live CD? THANK YOU for your time and consideration.
  • moulefritemoulefrite August 2010
    When you are at login page. You will have already the login "tux" , there is no password for that one. You can either input "root" as login which has "root" for password as well.

@bespinboy

Slitaz is not harder for usual task than windows. In the terminal Xterm (find it in the menu) you can write (if you are tux maybe switch to "root" : write the command "su" and than enter the login "root" and the the password "root")

you can write once the command

tazpkg recharge (to recharge the package list from Internet)

then for each package you want to install

tazpkg get-install firefox (for exemple)

That's it

Each time you will open an unknown format file, Slitaz will ask you with which program you want to open it .

• Trixar_zaTrixar_za August 2010
    Yes, the default root password is 'root' and not 'tux' like I said earlier.
  • seawolfseawolf August 2010
    Note that when you run an .EXE fie in Windows, that is a compiled program, compiled from source code using Windows' system stuff. Because there is only one 'WIndows XP' it can run across all of them, whereas there are so many modules and programs to a Linux distro that people can pick-and-choose each. It's just making a binary (.EXE) to fit your system, so it runs as well as possible.
  • ShUmMi3ShUmMi3 August 2010
    Nice one Trix , yeah , i'm joining the Slitaz group aswell

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social