This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Booting from floppy disk.
  • AJStrongAJStrong July 2010
    The answer to this question might be a little obvious, however as I am totally new to the world of computers as well as Linux-based operating systems I feel no shame in seeking help.

I have an old laptop which I would like to install SliTaz on. The cd drive is not working and it doesn't look like it has the ability to boot from a USB drive. So I want to try using floppy disks to install SliTaz. My problem is that I can't figure out how to write the files on the disk. Is it as easy as copying and pasting each file onto each disk, or is there more to it than that? The only computer I have that still has a floppy disk drive in it runs the most recent release of Ubuntu.

Thanks for helping me.

• tikbalangtikbalang July 2010
    how old is the laptop? have you verified that it really cannot boot from usb by getting into the BIOS?

it *may* be possible to install using floppy only but it will take a long time.

it would be more practical if you install slitaz to USB disk using another computer. verify that it is working well. then boot the laptop with DOS bootdisk that starts PLOP bootmanager which in turn boots the US port.
  • AJStrongAJStrong July 2010
    I think it is about a 97 or 98. I don't know how to verify that it cannot boot from a USB drive. What is a DOS bootdisk?
  • tikbalangtikbalang July 2010
    you can get into the BIOS by pressing DEL (or one of the function keys) at startup.

here is another option for you:

take out hd of the old laptop and ust it with one of these

http://www.overclock.co.uk/dept/Hard-Disk-Enclosures_74.html

get a 2.5 inch hard disk enclosure with IDE interface.

your laptop hd will then become a portable usb disk. you can install slitaz to this from any working computer.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social