This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Creating a new user in Slitaz Usb install
  • GiancarloGiancarlo June 2010
    I am trying to solve the problem to create a new user in a Slitaz Live Usb installation. Apparently tux user is no longer usable after saving current configuration with TaszUsb Write. The only available user after first reboot is root user.

I used control box to add a new user, then restarted my X session and logged in with the new user's account. The problem is that there is no longer any panel in the bottom end side of the screen. Really there is no panel anymore and I am not able to restore it in any way. If I log out and then log in again as root user, panel is in place correctly, but it doesn't start when I log in with new user account.

Is there any way to restore panel? Should I copy some configuration file to the new user's home directory?

Thanks very much for help!
    Giancarlo -Italy
  • seawolfseawolf June 2010
    Hi @Giancarlo --

See the information at http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:faq-login if it's a new user; you can copy over the default 'template' files for a user account.

The panel is stored in ~/.config/lxpanel/default/panels/panel & the configuration is ~/.config/lxpanel/default/config -- you could try just those two files from root's home directory or /etc/skel.

HIH.
  • mojomojo June 2010
    Addusers in addition to upgrade to cooking and installing/removing zsh.tazpkg are broken in slitaz.

With tazusb your backed up automatically.

Tazusb saves rootfs.gz as backup before it create new by renaming to previous.gz

Rename to restore:
    root@slitaz: mv /home/boot/rootfs.gz /home/boot/rootfs.gz.bad

root@slitaz: mv /home/boot/previous.gz /home/boot/rootfs.gz 

The rootfs.gz appended with numbers are older backups which can be removed with tazusb clean or deleted once your sure you won't need to restore them.
  • GiancarloGiancarlo June 2010
    Sorry, but I have some problem in understanding the proposed solutions. I read that add new user is broken in Slitaz. It means that it is not possible to add new users? I cant' understand what is the matter with rootfs.gz and previous.gz. Forgive me, please!!!

My problem is: I managed creating a new user but there is no panel in new user desktop! I tried to have a look at new user folder on my Usb key. It seems correct. Should I copy the content of "newuser/skel" directory to "newuser/"? Or I should copy from "/etc/skel" directory (which doesn't exist on my usb key, since, I suppose, it is created in ram after booting)?

Same applies to panel configuration. I should copy which files from where to where?

Thank you very much for your patience!
  • seawolfseawolf June 2010
    Did you read all of my post?
    I said to copy root's panel configuration to your new user's home.

Note: you'll need to change the permissions too -- in the user's home directory, use: chown [username] * -R
  • mojomojo June 2010
    @seawolf Ixpanel will recreate ~/.config/lxpanel if it doesn't detect an existing one. I rename /home/tux/.config/lxpanel to lxpanel.old and logout/in, a new lxpanel folder with all it's children files/folders automagically appears. This fixed ApplicationLaunchBar/tazpkgbox missing icon problem that had me stumped for month's. I rename lxpanel.old to lxpanel and the icon still shows. Forcing lxpanel to recreate the configuration somehow fixed the problem.
    Thanks seawolf you helped me fix lxpanel !

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social