This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Icons not loading in the main menu
  • TimTim May 2010
    Hello there, it's been a while since I posted in the forums, which I suppose is good, because I haven't had any issues. :) But now I do. I changed the GTK, OpenBox, and panel themes so that my Slitaz looks like Mac OSX. It does, but the icons in the panel menu (the one with all the applications in it) don't load anymore. I think I remember them loading when I first applied the theme, but not after I rebooted. I don't know much about the menu, or the panel at all. Care to help, please?

-Tim
  • mojomojo May 2010
    Go to /usr/share/applications in pcmanfm
    Are the icons visible to the left of the program names ?
    Permissions for all of them should be rw-r-r and the owner group root:root
    These are refered to .desktop files, right click and open with leafpad to see how they work.
    The icon png files are located in /usr/share/pixmaps
    All icons present and should have the same permissions and owner:group as the .desktop files above.
    My .desktop files don't have the full path to the icon,just it's name.
    Somewhere there is a link between the two locations.

My package manager launcher icon on the panel by the clock became a red X months ago.
    Appears fine on the menu,permissions ok, the md5sum matches the icon on another install of slitaz.

I gave up, it'll get fixed when I clean install next time.
  • seawolfseawolf May 2010
    I've just come about the same problem, only greater, switching my machine from Cooking (Xorg didn't work at all!) back to Stable.

All icons are blank or the "no icon" icon.
    My desktop background doesn't load either, nor do any picture previews in the File Manager.

On opening an image in GPicView through the Terminal, an error states it cannot recognise the file format. This occurs for PNG, JPG and GIF files.

Permissions on /usr/share/applications/* and pixmaps/* are such that root is the owner, all can read.

The icons in Opera (uses Qt) and NetBeans (uses Java) are okay, suggesting it's just GTK+-related.

I think there is something deeper going on than the icon theme!
  • asimoasimo May 2010
    Hi,

Have you tried this? :

# gtk-query-immodules-2.0 > /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules
    # gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders
    # gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/icon-theme

for example:
    # gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/SliTaz

asimo
  • seawolfseawolf May 2010
    Wow! That works, thanks @Asmio! My wallpaper is back, as are all the icons and pictures generally.

But what do those commands actually do? =)

Should this be put on the end of the icon theme package receipt?
  • asimoasimo May 2010
    gtk-query-immodules-2.0 and gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders have to be executed when upgrading or installing gtk+. But the commands didn't be excuted for some reasons.

gtk-update-icon-cache is optional. I checked all slitaz icon receipts. But there is no such command.
    According to gnome doc, icon cache is reducing memory usage.

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stable/gtk-update-icon-cache.html

asimo

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social