This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

why get-* packages ? How to desinstall ? get-texlive fails
  • zsurnzzsurnz May 2010
    Hi,

I've been using ArchLinux for >5 years now. I especially enjoy its being lightweight and the ease to build one'own packages. I got recently interested in Slitaz which appears to provide the same advantages.
    My main worry so far concerns big apps such as texlive, picasa... Why did you decide to provide only get-picasa, get-texlive... packages that have to be run to get the software installed ?
    Is there a way to cleanly remove them ? Maybe juste a matter of rm /usr/local/ ?

Edit: apparently the get-texlive script does not find required files online.
  • jozeejozee May 2010
    Hi zsurnz,

get-* packaging is typically used for non-free packages like opera. One advantage over the Arch linux way is that we don't have to host non-free pkgs on our repository (legal issues) and then distribute non-free pkgs. The script dynamically downloads the package from the pkg website and then converts them into the native Slitaz tazpkg format. So, one can install/uninstall non-free packages using tazpkg, e.g., tazpkg remove opera .

Only exception that we have made are for those non-free pkgs that require linux-source as dependency, e.g., nvidia, catalyst broadcom-wl. This is done considering RAM requirements and because of the need to download a huge linux-source and slitaz-toolchain.
    get-virtualbox also falls in this category but it has not been improved yet.

I don-t know why texlive, which is gpl'ed, is using get-* format. Thanks for pointing this out. We should improve this. It should be natively supported.

As you found out, one disadvantage of dynamic scripting is that it is dependent on the source-party URL. If the source-party URL format is changed, the script fails but then we just need to correct new URL format.

Thanks

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social