This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

[Solved] Linksys wireless card help
  • TimTim April 2010
    Hello, after running Puppy with extreme headaches and Xubuntu with extreme sluggishness, I've turned to Slitaz. I just got my resolution fixed using a guide someone posted here, but my wireless card is not working. It's a Linksys WPC54G ver. 1.2. I had to use ndiswrapper on Xubuntu, so I presume I'll have to do that again, considering no eth0 or wlan0 is detected. The problem is, Slitaz 3.0 doesn't com with ndiswrapper, and there's no make command. So how do I install it?
  • slicelslicel April 2010
    Search repos with the Package Manager and install.
  • TimTim April 2010
    How would I do that without internet?
    I found the packages for it from the "Packages Database" that is conveniently on the side of this page, but I don't know how to install them. Could you tell me how to do that? It seems like the only, or at least the easiest, solution.
  • seawolfseawolf April 2010
    Just run this command from the terminal as root:
    tazpkg install ndiswrapper.#.##.tazpkg

If it wants any dependent packages, I'm afraid you'll have to grab them from the repositories too.

Try using this ISO image for dependent packages (or for NDISwrapper itself) if you have an external HDD or shared partition. You could mount it loopback:
    http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/slitaz/iso/3.0/packages-3.0.iso

In SliTaz as root:
    mount -o loop,ro -t iso9960 /path/to/packages-3.0.iso /mnt/emptydirectory

I've just upgraded my kernel and it has the Staging drivers included making my wifi card(s) work OOTB!

Good luck!
  • TimTim April 2010
    I really don't feel like downloading a 1.5GB file for my OS installed from a 30MB CD. And, I got ndiswrapper and Perl, which looks like was its only missing dependency, installed. I modprobed ndiswrapper, and installed my driver, but it still doesn't work. I must be missing a step, but I've never used it on Slitaz before, I did everything I did on Xubuntu. So what else do I need to do?
  • seawolfseawolf April 2010
    Is the device present?
    `ndiswrapper -l`
  • TimTim April 2010
    Yeah, it looks like everything should work, but iwconfig and ifconfig don't detect anything.
    I have not setup wifi in a while and the careful details I posted were deleted with the old forum but I seem to remember editing /etc/network.conf and trying the wifi as eth1 or eth0 instead of wlan0.

I never was able to connect to a secure network, only to a non-secure network that broadcast its id.

The latest slitaz might be different.

Ps- http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:start
  • TimTim April 2010
    I'll try that, but my network is secure-ish. (WEP, which I myself can crack... But I doubt anyone 'round my house can, considering most of them are adults with most likely no knowledge of linux or computers in general... But who knows, I don't talk to my neighbors. I don't even know their names.) Anyway, I'll let you know what I find in this mythical network.conf.
    I was adding this link to my last post but I also will post it here to make sure you see the wifi guides-

http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:start

The network.conf has an enable yes/no switch.

You must be root to edit the conf.

# leafpad /etc/network.conf

There are supposed to be gui boxes to do setup and check for firmware too.

There is a wpa package. I never used it successfully.
  • TimTim April 2010
    Changing the yes/no switch in network.conf or changing it to eth0 instead of wlan0 did nothing. And the networking guide didn't have any useful information at all. (at least, nothing I haven't already figured out) It seems I'm stuck...
  • mojomojo April 2010
    Tim,
    Your wireless card plugs into a cardbus.
    There is a cardbus kernel module which sometimes must be manually loaded (modprobe)before the kernel can see your network card.
    Until you know the kernel recognizes your network card nothing will be accomplished.

Become root by typing su then enter,then type the password which is root followed by enter.

1.Type
    root@slitaz: tazhw detect-pci

Enter
    Please post results.

2.Type
    root@slitaz: lspci

Enter
    Is your linksys wireless card listed ? If it's not listed you will have to determine which item listed is the cardbus and modprobe it's module. yenta_socket is a common one.
    You can get a listing of all the available modules with this command.
    root@slitaz: modprobe -l | grep -i pcmcia

root@slitaz:lsmod
    shows loaded modules

Any module that you want autoloaded on boot you add to LOAD_MODULES=
    in /etc/rcS.conf
  • TimTim April 2010
    Due to Xterm's irritating inability to copy and paste text, I took a screenshot. http://theseahawk.webs.com/pics/screen2.png
    Tim,

If you checked everything on the guides (wireless packages, etc.), I cannot think of anything else right now so we can wait for mojo.

You might be able to help with another problem, if you could say exactly which slitaz flavor you are using and exactly which Agere modem you have (chipset?).

Thank you.
  • TimTim April 2010
    I'm using the Slitaz 3.0 Stable, (although when I boot it says cooking, I know I downloaded stable) and I have a Lynksys WPC54G ver. 1.2. (PCI card)
    Sorry, I meant the Agere 56k winmodem in your lspci results because my lspci does not show my Agere.

The slitaz flavors are sometimes confusing but the md5 is a good id-

# md5sum name.iso

I forget if you can use a long filepath in the command or cd to the folder where the iso is.

Thank you.
  • cavalier911cavalier911 April 2010
    Tim,
    Your wireless chipset the BCM4306 is supported with the b43 module.
    Do the following as root.
    Install linux-wireless.tazpkg b43-fwcutter.tazpkg
    Download,extract,and cut the firmware.
    http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
    tar xjf broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
    cd broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver
    b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta_mimo.o
    The 38 firmware files are in the /lib/firmware/b43 folder
    Open wireless connections
    root@slitaz: subox wifibox

Drivers tab,Module: b43 ,Load button
    List files button shows installed b43 firmware
    Lsmod button shows loaded b43 module
    Firmware: Install button downloads and installs firmware if you have ethernet connection to internet
    Networks tab,Refresh button,you see access point,dbl click to connect if open or enter key
    Configuration tab add key,essid,click connect,favorites tab
    Add ssb and b43 to /etc/rcS.conf LOAD_MODULES=
    The other main configuration file is /etc/network.conf to enable wifi at boot=yes , default interface=wlan0 and many other settings
  • TimTim April 2010
    Thanks everyone! It's working, and as proof, this message is here, posted from my Slitaz laptop! Yay!
  • cavalier911cavalier911 April 2010
    Thanks for the positive feedback!
    Please change title to: [Solved] Linksys wireless card help
  • TimTim May 2010
    So, anybody know why my wifi would spontaneously stop working? While the computer was turned on and the internet was working fine, wifi suddenly stopped working, and it hasn't been working since then. Any ideas as to why and how that could happen?
  • slicelslicel May 2010
    Maybe someone is standing in front of your wifi waves.

Preferably with computer next to wifi source-

Manually click start of dhcp in network configure gui box.

In xterm as root-

# ifconfig eth0 up
    # iwconfig eth1 up
    # iwconfig wlan0 up

Some combination or variation of those commands might be necessary depending on your setup.
  • slicelslicel May 2010
    Vanilla gave me an error too even though the last post worked.
  • slicelslicel May 2010
    Testing forum.

Edit- Worked.
  • TimTim May 2010
    I got it working, somehow my network got erased from the settings.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social