This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

[SOLVED] How to save WLAN settings & establish connection automatically?
  • mat619mat619 April 2010
    Hi there,

how can I save the settings I made in Wireless Network Connections regarding the firmware and modules to be loaded? After every boot it forgets the firmware I want to use and doesn't load the modules required to use it either.
    Also I'd like to know how I can get SliTaz 3.0 to automatically establish the wireless connection I saved in Wireless Network Connection's "Favorites"?

I think Wireless Network Connections could be a bit more intuitive when it comes to these two matters, especially since everyone who is not using a laptop will just want his same settings, same firmware and same modules loaded at system startup in 99.9% of all times.

Kind regards and thanks in advance!
    Matt
  • jozeejozee April 2010
    Strange!! First thing you may like to do is to: "tazpkg recharge && tazpkg upgrade". See if your wireless is automatically fixed after reboot. Let me know, we will take from there. Also, read the documentation at doc.slitaz.org.
  • cavalier911cavalier911 April 2010
    Open with text editor as root:
    /etc/rcS.conf
    Add modules to LOAD_MODULES=
    module will find firmware in /lib/firmware
    /etc/network.conf what is setup here will be your default
    connection type,and access point with wlan0

None of this will stick unless you have a full install or "tazusb writefs" with a persistant frugal install.
    @cavalier911: Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot to mention, I have a full install of course!

@jozee: What do you mean with "automatically fixed after reboot"... it isn't broken at the time I shut down the system, but it's unconfigured after the next boot...
  • jozeejozee April 2010
    I fixed a bug in get-wireless-firmware script that affects stable 3.0 so your wireless didn't work out-of-the-box. Upgrade will correct this script and automatically install ralink firmwire for you at the right place.

If you have done either what cavalier advised above or "tazhw detect-pci" or if you have removed /var/lib/detected-modules (to let the system redetect your modules automatically). Then, your system should be automatically correctly configured during boot. I hope this helps.

Since you are new to SliTaz, this may a bit too advanced for you, so I advised you to read the documentation.
    Solved:
    I found out that all I had to do was add "rt73usb" to LOAD_MODULES= in the rcS.conf (thanks for the hint, cavalier911!). That caused the corresponding modules to be correctly loaded at boot time, and once that happened, the wireless settings made in Wireless Network Connections were correctly applied automatically at every boot.

Thanks for pointing the bug out and fixing it, jozee, I'll make sure to get the corrected package in case I change my WLAN hardware and have to go through the configuration progress again :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social