This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

slitaz 3.0 problem booting from multiboot USB
  • shy_guestshy_guest March 2010
    slitaz 3.0 booted perfectly when alone on a USB key initialised with unetbootin.

I use a large USB key with 10 different Linux distros on it in iso format & its own grub menu in GrubDOS 0.4.4.

I added slitaz 3.0 on it yesterday & modified the boot script which worked for slitaz 2.0 by changing 2.0 to 3.0 :

title Boot SliTaz 3.0
    find --set-root /slitaz-3.0.iso
    map --mem /slitaz-3.0.iso (hd32)
    map --hook
    chainloader (hd32)
    boot

I then tried to boot slitaz 3.0 & got this error from Grub :

Error 62: The number of heads must be specified. The “–Heads=0″ option tells map to choose a value (but may be unsuitable for you) ...

After searching on the web for this error, which seems to come from a modification of the MBR, I tried changing line 3 to :

map --mem --head=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /slitaz-3.0.iso (hd32)

& got an error saying there was an unrecognizable device string. Same thing when I tried removing --mem from the line.

Is there anyone wiser than me who understands what is going wrong or how to make it work ?

• huevoteshuevotes March 2010
    I had that same problem too. I found the same information you found, and it didn't help. So i just installed it manually to my 8gb usb from an iso.
    http://www.slitaz.org/en/doc/handbook/install.html
    I added the "rootdelay=10" to the grub entry, to prevent the kernel panic,
    and it works great.

But I also would like to know how to make it boot from the iso.
    The cooking version worked, I don't see why this one doesn't.

any help? anyone?

• OldYogiOldYogi April 2010
    Strange, I've had no problem using the same code:

title Boot SliTaz 3.0
    find --set-root /slitaz-3.0.iso
    map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 --mem /slitaz-3.0.iso (hd32)
    map --hook
    chainloader (hd32)
    boot

this boots off an 8gb usb set up using Grub4Dos installed with the MultibootUSB script downloaded from PendriveLinux.com.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social