This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

How to install a network card driver
  • DennisDennis March 2010
    I'm using a fairly new lenovo PC with an intel network card. Slitaz doesn't detect it. How do I install the driver so that it will be detected?
  • mojomojo March 2010
    thanks but I've already seen that and I really couldn't figure out which module to use.

I figured out that I have a Intel® 82567 Gigabit Ethernet Controller on the computer and I downloaded the driver on the Intel Website for Linux. However I don't know how to install it. I'm not very adept yet with the bourne shell and I'm used to "make install" but of course I can't use that command.

Does anyone know what I should do?
  • mojomojo March 2010
    According to google the e1000 module supports Intel® 82567 Gigabit Ethernet Controller.
    Stable and Cooking both have the compiled e1000 kernel module.
    Open xterm,become root
    root@slitaz: tazhw detect-pci

enter
    This script is supposed to detect hardware and load the correct module.
    It worked if it replys >Module in use : e1000
    If it works go to step 3. if not step 2.
    root@slitaz: modprobe -v e1000

enter
    redo step 1. to verify e1000 module is loaded
    root@slitaz:ifconfig eth0 up

enter
    root@slitaz: ifconfig eth0

enter
    you should see Link encap:Ethernet HWaddress of your intel card listed
    root@slitaz: udhcpc -i eth0

enter
    This requests i.p. address for eth0
    If the reply is you were assigned i.p. address your connected.

To auto load e1000 module on boot open as root /etc/rcS.conf with text editor.
    add e1000 to LOAD_MODULES=
    and save.
    Thanks! I tried this but here is my output. It looks like it won't even detect it...
    I also realized the adapter is Intel(R) 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection. I'm not sure if that's any different than what I posted above. Thanks so much for the help!

root@slitaz:/home/tux# tazhw detect-pci

Detected PCI devices Kernel modules
    =============================================================
    > Module in use: snd_hda_intel

root@slitaz:/home/tux# modprobe -v e1000
    Loading module e1000
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# tazhw detect-pci

Detected PCI devices Kernel modules
    > Module in use: snd_hda_intel

root@slitaz:/home/tux# ifconfig eth0 up
    ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
  • jozeejozee March 2010
    Dennis: Are you on 3.0??
    @jozee

yes I'm using 3.0 although before that I was using 2.0 with the same problem.
  • erniaernia March 2010
    you should need e1000e and not e1000:
    http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/E1000E.html
    for reasons that i can't uderstand this driver seems to be built in in the kernel in slitaz 3.0:
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# zcat /proc/config.gz | grep E1000
    CONFIG_E1000=m
    CONFIG_E1000E=y

so you should not need to load any module, it should work out of the box, unless this driver has some problem if it is built in the kernel.
    so i would check the output of
    cat /proc/net/dev | grep eth

if you can't see any eth* i would rebuild the kernel changing only CONFIG_E1000E=y to CONFIG_E1000E=m and retry modprobing e1000e
    Thanks ernia!
    cat /proc/net/dev | grep eth

only outputs "eth" followed by a bunch of zeros.

I hate to ask but I have never rebuilt a kernel. Is there some guide that I can look at to help me do that?
  • erniaernia March 2010
    http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:kernel
    if you have some problem i can try to help you.
    the first one you could face would be an error in "make bzImage" due to initramfs. if you have an hard disk install it should be safe, until someone understand why there is such error, to disable initramfs support, it's only needed in livecd or liveusb.
    may you post the output of cat /proc/net/dev | grep eth ? i'm not sure to understand what you said.
    wow...that's inconvenient...Because I can't get internet on Slitaz, I cannot install slitaz-toolchain, so I have no way of compiling the kernel.

sorry about that here is the output:
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# cat /proc/net/dev | grep eth
    eth0: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  • erniaernia March 2010
    so you have eth0, which means that the kernel's builtin driver at least detect you network card. now, before you recompile the kernel, you must understand if the problem is slitaz which can't get your interface up or the driver which is not working well. If you have not edited your /etc/network.conf slitaz try to get the data to configure your network card from a dhcp server. you could edit /etc/network.conf file and change DHCP from yes to no and STATIC from no to yes, then
    /etc/init.d/network.sh restart
    . What's the output of
    ifconfig
    now? Does the card have the default 192.168.0.6 address? If yes you don't have a dhcp server in your network or it refuses to give your card an address, if no you probably should try to recompile the kernel.
    To do that you can download the packages.iso image, mount it as a loopback device in /media/cdrom and use /media/cdrom/packages/3.0 as your tazpkg mirror with tazpkg setup-mirror:
    http://hg.slitaz.org/tazpkg/raw-file/tip/doc/tazpkg.en.html
    that's weird. I don't get eth0 anymore. It's just
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# cat /proc/net/dev | grep eth
    eth 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Which would mean that it isn't detecting the network card. Should I try recompiling the kernel like you said then and try that out?
  • erniaernia March 2010
    i would recompile the kernel, disabling builtin kernel net drivers and compiling all of them as modules, then i would try modprobing e1000e

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social