This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

SliTaz graphical desktop will not start on laptop.
  • guitarMan666guitarMan666 March 2010
    When booting from the latest cooking CD, SliTaz absolutely refuses to open X. Using the tazx configuration utility yields a "messed-up" looking interface with garbled text. I have tried several solutions offered by indigo6 on the IRC channel. These include using the tazx to create a .xsession file for user "tux" and using VGA mode 788 to force a resolution of 1024x768.

However, neither of these will allow X to run, it simply complains about a missing .xsession file. The CD image boots perfectly fine into a graphical environment when used under VirtualBox.

The only unusual thing about my laptop is the resolution of the screen display 1366x768. Previous versions have booted perfectly into a graphical environment at a stretched-out 1024x768.

Any ideas what could be going on here? I have confirmed the CD's integrity and the integrity of the ISO image so I am certain it's not corrupted! --Eric
  • maxxmaxx March 2010
    how did you make the USB Live?
  • guitarMan666guitarMan666 March 2010
    Well, for one thing, the problem is with the CD just on its own as well. However, I made a LiveUSB (which I have not tested) from the command line that DOES boot using "tazusb gen-liveusb" and that seemed to work OK.
  • maxxmaxx March 2010
    Hmmm...., what about the burning process, sometimes it corrupts over here. Or, have you tried the CD on another PC?
  • mojomojo March 2010
    All versions of cooking released in 2010 have xorg that often requires hand editing of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf to get your monitor working.The cooking-2009 and stable-2.0 use xvesa,which always worked for me.If it's not dropping you to command prompt ctrl/alt/+ toggles the resolutions.You might get some kind of display,then you can tweak xorg.conf to fix things.On my 21" dell monitor I add Modes "1024x768" under "Display" subsection.I'm stuck using the vesa driver as the ati won't work with my mach32 video card.On Dell E1505 laptop I was dropped to login console, I add HorizSync 28-64 VertRefresh 43-60 under Monitor section in addition to Modes "1024x768" I might fiddle with the intel driver at a later date and some 915 hack to get a better resolution.
    I found tazx and X -configure to be of no help. In the end google and nano got my video working.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social