This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Any suggestion on building an OS lab using Slitaz?
  • plmdayplmday February 2010
    Hi, I am helping build an OS lab for our "poor" faculty. We have only 1-2 high-end servers, and about 25-30 low-end PCs (256-384M RAM, 1.6 GHz CPU). The OS lab is mainly for the OS Practicum course which is based on Minix. We want Minix to run on a virtual machine, probably Qemu, which itself runs on a GNU/Linux host OS. We choose Slitaz for its lightweight and speed. But at the same time, we don't want repeat installing-configuring every PC. So the last possible solution is booting through network from a server. Then my question is:

Is it possible to configure a Slitaz server so that as many (as 30) client PCs boot from the server at the same time and run Qemu and then Minix? I have no experience of setting up a server. An even more silly question, can these client PCs run X programs at the meantime?

Any suggestion/link is appreciated. Thanks.
  • claudineiclaudinei February 2010
  • plmdayplmday February 2010
    Thanks, claudinei. That's helpful, :)
  • plmdayplmday March 2010
    Hmm, the doc is too terse. Particularly I don't know what to do at the "configuration bootfile option" step. What to configure, which options are available, the format, etc. Anyone to further enlighten me?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social